Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

full scales - practice

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Samie, Dec 29, 2000.

1. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    Ever wanted to learn a scale that takes you from the first to the last note your of the bass? Here is an easy one.

Forget he dorian,... stuff

1.- just think of the C scale

CDEFGAB

2.- Starting with each note of this scale and using only 2 strings play 6 notes of the scale

example:
    from C play CDE(on the 3rd string) FGA(on the 2nd string) etc
    continue with the rest of the notes of the C scale

3. Memorize the visual pattern created by each 6 note pattern(important).

4. Asociate each pattern with a number in the scale
    CDEFGAB

5. check out the full scales (dont be intimidated by the dorian, phrigdfsan, sdfan talk)
    http://www.bassplayer.com/z1998/9808/myung.shtml2

..you will recognize the patterns you have just learned

6. You can use step 4 to asociate the names of the scales with the patterns. You can also use it to transpose the scales into other Keys

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

You have left Ed speechless - truly a remarkable feat! ;)

I think what he might have said is that this method might work for one chord in a song - but what if it has more than one chord, that isn't a straight Major? This won't even work for a 12-bar blues! :rolleyes:

3. When you play a two octave scale you have played all the modes of the scale. Unless it a ethnic scale with more than one octave. So stop and smell the daisys.

4. Bruce Lindfield

Yeah, but blues is usually based on Dominant 7th chords which include flat 7 and change key !

5. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    I you start to play 2 octave scales on the bass in a blues band/song you'll get kicked out of the band! I promise..

The scale main purpose in to practice finger pattern on the whole fretboard and to improve speed. Try it with quater notes then eight's then 16th at about 60 bpm. If you can manage you are doing pretty well.

If you really want you can use it on any rock/pop because most rock/pop song stay within the scale(they don't modulate). So if you have a song with F, G, C, and Em and Dm.. you are still in the key on C and the scale works. althouh its best to use parts of the scale not the whole thing.

When you are ready at 60 bpm try it on all 12 tones and then at 75 etc...

6. Bruce Lindfield

I think I'll stick to practising other things .... I'm trying to break away from patterns.

The point about blues songs is not releted to playing 2 octave scales, although these might be useful to keep a walking line moving in one direction for as long as possible, but rather to point out that it's no good playing a major scale over a dominant seventh chord.

7. Samie

Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    This are just warm-up exercises, something u can do while they are testing the PA system. That is all!