1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

full size POG question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by groooooove, Apr 23, 2009.

1. im looking for the best sounding 2- octave up guitar emulation i can find...

one major possibility is running a wah pedal left on (to take out the bass frequencies for better tracking) into a digitech whammy (idea stolen from reed mathis).. this is an example of that sound -

but im wondering if maybe a regular pog can do this to? the upside will be that when there isint a key player to hold down the low end ill be able to bring up the dry signal.

anyway, can someone tell me if a POG will do this, or maybe even record a clip? might want to try running a wah pedal before it in the signal if thatll help tracking like it does with the whammy..

and help appreciated.

2. The POG can do 2 octave up perfectly. Don't even worry about tracking, its basically flawless, no wah pedal needed. The only thing wrong with it is that it bends EVERYTHING up 2 octaves, including string/pick/finger/fret noise, so it can get a bit chirpy. Luckily, they put an LPF slider on the full POG so you can filter out a lot of that chirpiness. I can't think of a pedal that can do 2 octaves up that sounds better (certainly not the whammy, IMHO)

3. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    +1 on the tracking. It has incredible tracking and I don't really like running effects before it except for my BMS on occasion. I prefer all effects after the POG.

If you never tried a POG, it is a little synthy sounding. If your going for a clean sound and playing just the +1 and +2 octaves, I would suggest throttling back on the Low Pass a bit and adding a lush chorus post POG to sweaten up and fill out the sound.

4. ItsMichaelYeah

ItsMichaelYeah

Jun 4, 2008
    Miami,FL
    Best Jazz Faces EVER!

5. im okay with synthy sounding, and have an array of effects to put with it. analogman chorus, red witch moon phaser, and others but those two tend to work for anything.

so i could cop the reed mathis thing with a POG?? any chance of sound clips of this?

6. There's a bunch of soundclips in the wiki that show off the capabilities of this pedal.

7. i looked, and dont recall seeing specifically what im looking for. the organ stuff ill definately use, but thats not why im looking to buy it.

ill go look again though.

8. Sorry, I didn't see the link to what you were talking about. I have a HOG and it can get close to what you are looking for. The POG doesn't have the attack delay like the HOG (and your clip) so it would either need another pedal or you'd be out of luck.

What the clip sounds like to me is a Roland Synth pedal like the GR-20 or V-Bass (or equivalent). It sound very naturally like a bowed string instrument and I think that is what you are looking for.

9. hes actually using a digitech whammy with a wah and volume pedal before it. im just looking for alternative ways to get the same sort of thing.

and i looked again, i cant find any samples of just 2 octaves up played on bass.

im also very weary of buying an EHX Pedal. ive never had good luck with them, theyre all cheap and fragile, but they sound sick. im not sure about this one

10. I did a soundclip with my HOG showing the tone of each slider soloed.

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6521195

The +2 octave is the seventh run through of the notes. The notes are played at around the 12th fret on the D and G string. It's not much but maybe better than you've got so far and will be a reasonable facsimile of what you'd get out of a POG.

My whole board is EHX and I've had nothing but good luck so far.

Crossing my fingers.

Edit:: one of these times I'm going to have to read the WHOLE OP before responding. :bag:

11. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    San Francisco, CA, USA
    It shouldn't be too hard to find one in a shop. Go forth and try one! ;)

IME, the newer ones (i.e., the XO series) are solidly built. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Plus, EHX has great customer service and warranty coverage.

12. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This thread makes me want to upgrade my microPOG to a full sized one.

DAMN YOU EFFECTS FORUM! DAMN YOUUUUUUUUUU *shakes fist*

13. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    I think you could get a similar sound with the POG and a touch of other effects. The volume swells could be done with a volume pedal. I'll try to throw clip later today or tomorrow.

14. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Clips
    These recorded straight into my junky laptop, but gives an idea of the POG. Bass used is a Warmoth 4 banger (padouk neck, korina body, ebony fretboard) loaded with passive DiMarzio J's. Clip F was played one octave lower just for grins.

Clip a: Clean bass, light chorus
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7549052

Clip b: Clean bass, POG +1 and +2 octaves, light chorus
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7549064

Clip c: Fulltone Bassdrive, light chorus
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7549073

Clip d: Fulltone Bassdrive, POG +1 and +2 octaves, light chorus
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7549080

Clip e: POG, Bassballs, light chorus
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7549091

Clip f: Played one octave lower, POG sub octave only, Bassballs, light chorus
    http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7549095

15. the clips are great, thanks for posting..

is it just me or does the pog +2 octave not sound as organic as the clip posted above (wah into whammy)? i guess i cant accurately compare without having both infront of me... and the volume swells definately add a lot of character.

the pog definitely will have more uses, but is a lot more expensive and im still unsure of the quality of these EHX boxes. but on the other hand, i have tons of JFJO bootlegs where reed uses his whammy setup, and im not sure if i want to bother looking for a better effect than that, it sounds so killer..

i wonder if guitar center will have both of these so i can test them..

would it be too much trouble to request a clip of the +2 octaves soloed, with and without gain?

16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    The one closest to me had both a week ago, so they probably will. Always best to call first. I'm enjoying my Whammy Pedal after a couple weeks with it, but dang, it's gigantic, and when it's on, it adds an artifact to the clean tone of my bass I'm not digging. I think it'll end up being studio only once I get my Micro Pog.

17. unfortunately, the pog is huge too. hopefully a GC around here will carry both.. ill post the outcome.

18. im listening more closely to JFJO clips where he uses the whammy for this, and it is sounding a little more glitchy the closer i listen to it..

guitar center doesent have any pogs. whammys a plently.. time to go music shop-hopping, in search of a pog.