Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Full Size upright bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Gabu, Aug 31, 2001.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
  2. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Yes Gabu, 3/4 is the standard size for double bass, with a vibrating string length around 105 cm. From time to time you'll find a 7/8 or a full 4/4 with string length above 110 cm which requires bigger hands to be played confortably.

3. Whoever wrote the e-Bay ad does not know what he's talking about.
    As Olivier says, 3/4 is the STANDARD size in basses.
    The ad says 3/4 is the FULL size, not 4/4. That is total s##t. A full size bass is 4/4. However, you don't want one.
    New players should stay with standard size.

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    Just in in case someone gets tempted by this type of e-bay ad, lets warn again that this is not the way to get your hands on a first bass. Of course, the price is sweet and the bass looks good, but the stuff probably needs from 500 to 1000$ of setup work. And even then may not give a decent sound.
    You must play a music instrument in order to judge it. If you don't know how to play, then get the advice of someone who knows, friend or teacher. In the first place you should check what the luthiers near you have in stock and may offer.
    Besides this I have nothing against e-bay (where I shop for CDs).
    Full size peace,
    O

5. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I don't have any experience (or education in that instrument either) yet. I just found it to be interesting and the size thing sounded funny to me. I have been wanting to study double bass at my local community college. This would initially be in a classical class with Jazz to later follow.

6. Martin Sheridan

Martin Sheridan

Jan 4, 2001
    Fort Madison, Iowa
    Bass Maker
    As a maker and repairer I'll add that there are size differences even within the sizes. In other words
    not all 3/4 size basses are the same size, and that goes for 7/8 and 4/4. I've worked on a number of large basses that were refered to a 5/4!
    Addtionally, bass size often has nothing to do with string length. Standard string length is generally considered to be anything between 41" and 42".
    Also, some basses have rather wide upper bouts, and some are a lot narrower which can make a big difference in their playability.
    For your first bass, I'd advise one that has a standard string length, diffintely not over 42", and shoulders or upper bouts that are not more than
    20" wide.
    I've never seen a bass come from any supplier that has been set up correctly which was noted by a previous post.
    Try to find someone who specializes in basses.
    Tell me where you live, and perhaps I will know of somebody in your area. Most bass repair persons know almost everybody in the bass repair community(believe me it's a small group). Even very good violin repair persons know very little about basses, and guitar or electric guys usually know even less.
    Good luck,