1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Full song written on one line

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by u84six, Jul 25, 2012.

1. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    A while back, there was a discussion about how some people write a cheat sheet to help them remember songs for when they've got to memorize a lot. Can you show me your format? I want to try this because I've got 80 more new songs I need to learn within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks!

2. I'm Country and that is normally a dirt simple chord progression. I do not try to get the full song on one line. If I know the chord progression to the first verse I am confident I can wing the rest using root on 1 and five on 3 and if there is some more room I know where the 3 and 7 are. If it's a new song I do watch the rhythm guitar's fretting hand for when the chord changes come. So a quick glance at the following:
    Code:
    Name of the song.        Key  Progression.
    Could I have this dance  A     I-IV-V-IV-V7-I
    Take me back to Tulsa    G     I-V7-I
    You can not fit everything on a cheat sheet, the fancy stuff comes from playing the song over and over with the sheet music in front of you. Just a memory jog is all the time you will have between songs.

In the past I've put the cheat sheet on the top of the amp.

Jam every chance you can then after a while you can throw the cheat sheet away, it's the beat that counts and an assumed I-IV-V works -- in Country. I bet your style of music will have three to four basic progressions, it may not be I-IV-V, but, it will be close to that. Just making the cheat sheet will help you see what is normal for your music.

3. kevmc28

kevmc28

Feb 28, 2008
    Somerset, NJ, USA
    The first thing I though of with this thread title was, "Feel Good Hit of the Summer" by Queens of the Stone Age. But that's one line of lyrics that makes the whole song, not chords.

4. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma

Sep 12, 2008
    +1 Malcolm

Every song has a basic structure, if u know the roman numerals and key and that gives you about 50-80% of the tune already. Then learn the form (AABA, AABC...etc). I like to follow the drummer, if it's a good drummer he will set up hits, section changes, groove changes...etc.

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    My system helps ME personally and has got me out of trouble - use this for ideas, adapt as necessary.

Couple examples attached.

Attached Files:

6. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Interesting system, bassybill. I may steal some of that. ;)

7. ACalbass

ACalbass

Dec 16, 2011
    If I have to learn the songs really fast,and there are many of them,I check first the ones that are similar,regarding chord changes.
    I bet at least 50% of those songs will share the same structure/chord changes.
    I found an easy way to remember songs that are similar : I change fingering and fret location for each of them.
    I let the body,in this case the hand,to remember the movement and changes.
    As an example,if three songs are in A key,I never play the same A in the fretboard,nor use the same finger for each of them,I use the hand position to define the song.
    It is also very educative,since in this way you understand better the fretboard,also understand how to play the same scales or modes using different fingers to start it on root.
    See if it help you a bit in remembering those 80 songs.