1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

full swamp ash body with a wenge neck and ebony fretboard

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by KINGPIN_88, Apr 1, 2014.

1. KINGPIN_88

KINGPIN_88 Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2014
    Hey TB fam,

I have a quick question I am in the process of get a one body swamp ash bass with a wenge neck and ebony fretboard. The pups will be a delano xtender. Don't know if I am going to do one or 2, and the preamp will be a glockenklang 3band stacked. Just want to know what I can expect as far as sound. I would really appreciate your advice.

2. Toptube

Toptube Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2009
    I had a bass for awhile which had a 5 piece neck. 3 pieces of Wenge with two small Bubinga strips. and an Swamp Ash body. Rosewood finger board.

It had deep lows, a lot of high mid presence and punch. The mids and low mid were not scooped. But they were also not especially pronounced. Just even.

For that particular bass, it was a little too easy for noise from the strings percussing against the frets (I don't mean buzz)---to come through the pickups when unintended.

It could have been a not so great mix of the pickups and the bass. Or it could have been a natural issue with the bass. I didn't explore other pickups.

3. KINGPIN_88

Mar 20, 2014
    Thanks. That is actually the type of sound I am looking for.

4. 4OnTheFloor

4OnTheFloor Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Youngstown, OH
    It will sound tight, but dull. Going to struggle for midrange content. all IMHO. I have a set of JMVC 5 string Delano's for a Fender MIA Jazz Deluxe V and they lasted 1 gig, actually after the 1st tune I realized that Delano's are NOT my thing. I like complex, sweet round (Fender-like) tone, or comlex honky tone(Spector/Warwick - like), in either case the Delanos were in the middleish of that, just kinda suck at both.

5. KINGPIN_88

Mar 20, 2014
    That is interesting i haven't really heard that many negative reviews of delanos, but I will take that into heavy consideration