Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Full-time job, Part-time band issues...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by 43% burnt, May 25, 2005.

1. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    What's up everyone...just wanted to get some feedback from anyone who is/has been in similar situations.

I'm 27. I work a full-time, corprate job. I have alot of financial responsabilities (rent, car, bills, etc..) as does everyone else in my band. We have an original metal band that is starting to experience a little bit of local success. We've been playing a lot of shows around our area for about a year now, some small some pretty large. We've recently been booked on a few large out of state shows, 2 of which we had to cancel. Because my guitarist and I couldn't get out of work in time to get there on Fiday nights.

It really sucks, because people seem to be into us and we're just starting to see some recognition. It could lead to bigger things. However, as I said before We all have too many responsabilities to go on tour. So we're really limited as far as what we can do outside of writing and playing decent local shows, or out of town shows on Saturdays only. Its a little frustrating...because I feel like we're burning bridges every time we have to cancel a show. It's also a litle discouraging because it can only go so far.

If it was up to me, I'd quit my job and go on tour...but unfortunately I can't do that type of thing anymore :mad:

I don't know, I just needed to rant a little. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

2. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Are you booking a gig and THEN cancelling or are you bailing on a possible booking as it doesn't fit with your other priorities?

If it's the former - why bother booking in the first place? Ego? Overzealous manager/booking agent?

If it's the latter - I don't think you're burning bridges, you are setting realistic expectations.

DD

3. Yup, have the same issues with my band. We all work and need to schedule ourselves around that.

IME, you and your bandmates need to sit down and nut out what your individual expectations of the band are. For us, we all agreed that even though we could get more work, we had to draw the line at twice a month on Fridays/Saturdays and kept our regular weekly Sunday show.

It's a bit disappointing to not be able to do more, but thats life.

Good luck.

4. If music is the priority, do anything you can to make it happen for you. Sacrifice material comfort and family happiness. If music is not the priority, accept your limitations.

5. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    there's nothing wrong with being a big fish in a small pond. Stay where you're at, have some fun, be the best and oh yeah, raise your prices and make some money.

6. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    well, do what i did.

i work a corporate america job. well, i do customer service, but its in an office, i have to be prefessional and we have benefits, 401k, profit sharing, the whole 9

so, this is what i did.

i moved back home with my grandparents(free rent, all i gotta do is help out around the house and i have been helping them re model their house).

sell your car and buy a band van(if you already have one, just by a beater with the lowest insurance you can, or go for broke and dont have a car in general.

get rid of the cell phone.

so you work at your job now. if something coems up, you can can the job without hurting yourself. it sucks to live the ****ty life sometimes. i own a car thats 11 years old because if i quit my job to go on tour, i cant afford payments ona new car being on the road.

7. Chiba

Chiba

Mar 11, 2005
    The guys in my band all have day jobs. Hell, 2 of us (not me) even have mortgages to pay. I'm married, have a 3 year old daughter, a full-time job, a part-time job, and play in 2 bands, not to mention running a guitar/bass repair shop on the side as well.

Important things are important - either your band is important enough to you to take the occasional 1/2 day off work for that out-of-town gig or it's not.

I hoard my vacation hours like a squirrel hides nuts for winter and have been known to enrage my wife to the point of violence because I refused to take a day off for her because the band 'might have a gig in NYC next month' and I needed to be sure I had the vacation hours to have the time for it.

--chiba

8. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Great advice from everyone...I guess I could make arragemnets to bail on my job and go on tour. But It'll be real rough trying to find another job as good as my current one once its over. I can't ditch the car, cause I work an hour from my house and need reliable transportation. Basically we're not kids anymore, We all have full-time jobs, 3 of us have mortgages, etc...And It's tough. I just started my job 2 months ago and am not in the position to start taking days off, or asking for 1/2 days. It sucks that all these opportunities are popping up now. As a result, we had to drop off a show in Jersey last week, a show in Boston this friday both with signed touring bands...would have been great opportunities for exposure.

Don't get me wrong, I love making music and I'm gratefull for this band. I'm comfortable just writing good music, recording, and playing a few shows here and there. But what musician doesn't want to blow off all responsabilities to play shows??

9. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    To be quite honest, I'm pretty happy doing something other than music for a living. I strive to be professional in how I conduct myself (putting in solid performances with a good attitude) while working from the best of what it means to be an amateur (doing music for the love of it).

I've got the luxury of deciding not to take "opportunities" that involve more hard work, late nights, sleazy venues and second hand smoke than I care for; I don't even have to earn enough through playing to support my hobby.

That's not to say that I wouldn't love more time to play bass and the chance of making quicker progress up Mt Proficiency. However, unless I struck lucky I'm not sure that the increase in playing time and opportunities would match up with the stress of self-promotion and the inability to also put suitable time into other things I want to pursue.

Wulf

10. CJK84

CJK84

Jan 22, 2004
    Maria Stein, OH
    I play in a cover band with four others. All of us are married and all have at least one child (I have four kids and that, obviously, is a big obligation).

My bandmates and I live kind of far apart (80 min drive) and play out only 18 times a year.

It's hard to sound really good with minimal practice and so few shows (right now we're on a 4-week break).

I wish badly that I could be part of a group that plays 25-30 times a year - with people who are highly committed to sounding great.

But that's not the current reality, so I try to make the best of it. I might start playing in the the local Catholic church more.

11. oldfclefer

oldfclefer low ended

May 5, 2005
    Southern Ohio
    Your uncertainty indicates lack of commitment to my way of thinking. If you're going to go all out, make sure everyone, I mean everyone, is with you. The bands, your family, and their families, have to agree that it's worth the risk since you will all be dealing with it. If you've got that going for you, then go for it for all you're worth, the people who love you most will be counting on your success.If not, relax and enjoy the ride on a small time basis, and get the most out of it.

Good luck

Ron

12. xshawnxearthx

xshawnxearthx

Aug 23, 2004
    new jersey
    true.

well, whats the name of your band, and who/where were you going to play in jersey>

13. 43% burnt

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Fall From Grace is my band...We were supposed to play with 100 Demons, Cast Aside, and others. in Keansburg, NJ, 2 weeks ago. Tommorrow w/ the same bands plus a few other boston bands @ Romans in Brockton, MA. :(

14. rob

rob

Mar 26, 2004
    dude all i gotta say is that you live once and make it f**king happen for yourself move to cheaper rent by a band van as mentioned in a few of the above threads and live your dream and of course rock the f**k out.... im doing it

rock n roll never dies.

15. Jeb

Jeb

Jul 22, 2001
    USA
    I work in retail and juggle my projects. I play regularly. The key is that word *juggle.* There is a technique to juggling. Its something learned from experience alone.

So I would say that if you value your job and you value your project(s), learn to juggle!

16. kilgoja

kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    Alabama
    i wouldn't just quit everything and go for it although that is what we'd all like to do....my band tried that for 3 years and we ended up breaking up ....me and the drummer moved back home and got jobs and stuff....it's just hard to make enough money unless you are really big with a record deal and everything...we were just kindof breaking even...anything extra we made was spent on food, hotels, band equipment and stuff like making cds , t shirts....you know ....so now me and the drummer are starting up another band....i would just recommend only booking local gigs on friday night and out of state gigs on saturday night......man work sucks doesn't it...it just controls your life...everyday i want to just walk out but i know i can't....been there done that...just play when you can dude :bassist:

17. tis a cruel world. go out into the world, start touring, after all, you do get a vacation eventually with a desk job.

18. QORC

QORC

Aug 22, 2003
    East Coast
    it happens. I'm in the same boat. I'm a mid-level manager and I have a lot of responsibilities, so that obviously comes first. The band knows this. I have had, on occasion, to back out of practices or a few gigs (VERY few) due to last minute traveling on my real job.

But they know this about me when I joined. I was very clear about it. Music is my hobby, but my job is how me (and my wife and kids) eat. That being said, I've made adjustments at work to make sure that I could play music.

as long as you are clear up front when you join a band, it should not be a problem. If you are cancelling gigs FREQUENTLY, that would irritate anyone and you should consider whether you really can play with this band. Find a band, for example, that doesn't go out of State (mine doesn't).

however, if it's only once in a blue moon, and they are complaining? again, it might not be the band for you.

19. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

I'm with QORC on this one....I'm a Network Engineer and frequently on call. I'd love to make music my profession, but all of my band member's are in committed relationships and have satisfying professions...no one is leaving that comfort zone, but we all knew what we were striving for from the get. I'm satisfied with my 5-6 club gigs and 5-6 church gigs a month.

...now if only some big time A & R person would come along and change our way of thinking... :D

20. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I think it's pretty simple in theory actually.

Do you want to be a musician? Or do you want to be a full time corporate guy? Once you know that, the rest is easy. You've got just make peace with your choices and it seems that's where the struggle is. One or the other is going to have to take priority. And there's a price to pay on both sides. I could go into the list of sacrifices on both sides but I think we all know what they are.

If music is a passion and not just an ego or fun thing, then I'd say find a way around the job and just do it. Jobs can be left and gone back to if done tactfully. Other work can be found. If the music is important enough the sacrifices will be palatable. Band changes can be easily made if other guys in the band aren't on the same page. If the cost seems too high, and you're happy in your job than peace with that has got to be made somehow.

Lastly - and most importantly - if money is important to you, top priority, you feel you need a lot of it and the security that goes along with it, I'd say stick with the job. The chances of making lots of money with music, even if your band were already signed to a major label - are about equal to your chances of winning lotto. What's more is that if you quit your lifestyle to persue music and money, there's a good chance that "hungry (desperate)" vibe may set in and you'll wind up pushing away opportunities that may have otherwise been there. Not being desperate in any way and having enough money to foot all your bills may be what's giving your band a lot of the appeal and success you're now having.

Persue music for the love of music. Persuing it for anything else I believe leads to heartache.

Life is so complicated sometimes.