1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fullerton Stack Knob Jazz pups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by cjac9, Sep 16, 2008.

1. cjac9

cjac9

Apr 21, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    My bass teacher has an early 1980s Fullerton Jazz with stack knobs. What kind of pickups/ electronics are in one of these? It has a very gutsy tone (it's so hard to talk about this and make any sense.) All I know is that it plays amazing and sounds incredible. I have a 60s reissue Jazz that I really like and I'm getting to play very smoothly with steel wool. How can I get my bass to start approaching the sound his gets?

Thanks!

2. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    the pickups were standard Fender J pickups. The stacked/concetric are a volume and tone for each pickup. My Lakland JO5 fretless has them as well. Unlike a 3 control jazz, the concetrics give you a passive tone control for each pickup so you can control the tone individualy

JO5_FL-db45233f06145360e2e57507e5f9.

3. cjac9

cjac9

Apr 21, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I don't know what kind I have but I figure slapping today's standard Fender pups in there would not sound like those pickups. So what's the difference?

4. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I think the stack-knob control plate will work with your existing PUP's. Might as well try that out first. That's the journey I'm considering right now on my Geddy Lee jazz.

5. One Drop

One Drop

Oct 10, 2004
    Swiss Alps
    the Fullerton basses are known to be resonant well put together instruments, and used very good woods. My '83 P is a great sounding instrument, and I assume a large part of that is a result of the woods and the care taken putting it together.

The Fender Original P PUP is a great sounding one, as is the Jazz. I don't imagine it's much different from the ones used on the Fullerton TIs, but I could be wrong.

People spend a lot of money on replacement PUPs for Fenders, but if you are looking for classic Fender tone you can do worse than buy the real thing, IMO.

6. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The stack knob controlls offer a little bit more sound tayloring over the standard 3-knob setup. That's probably the biggest difference, as well as the wood and construction of the Fullerton.

I have a Fullerton 62RI Jazz as well as a 97 62RI Jazz, and the pickups are exactly the same, and with a meter they read out the exact same resistance. But the Fullerton overall feels and plays better.

So knowing that, you could probably just look for any MIA 62RI pickups, or probably even the Custom Shop 60's pickups, or Lollar pickups, then get a stack knob assembly from ebay.

7. cjac9

cjac9

Apr 21, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Caca de Kick-
    I've got the Jazz feeling pretty good because I've used some #0000 steel wool on the neck to get it really smooth.

The Fender site says I have:
    2 Standard Vintage Alnico Magnet Jazz Bass Single Coil Pickups

Are the Fullerton 62'RI pickups different than the ones on the 62'RI that are coming out today? Do I have to try to find some vintage ones? If so, are there any 3rd party pups that are similar or better?

Thanks

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I have a '91 AV 62 Jazz and I just put Seymour Duncan Antiquity IIs in it. Tonally they are very similar, but the Duncans are perhaps a bit hotter and have a bit more presence, especially in the upper mids. I hope that helps.

9. MobileHolmes

MobileHolmes I used to be BassoP

Nov 4, 2006
    Iowa
    Those fullterton instruments can be magic. 2nd best J bass I ever played was a faded fiesta red one. I'd second what One Drop says. I'm not sure that it is the pickups so much as the whole package. The one I played was really zingy and loud sounding unplugged, probably from having aged 25 years to some extent, probably from starting as good lumber. They are old enough that they may be brazillian rosewood rather than indian for the FB as well.

The electronics didn't strike me as anything unique at all. There are tons of good J pickups out there. Check the J sticky at the top. I'm really digging the nordstrands in my #1 bass, but I have a suspicion that fralins might be a little more vintagey. I've heard clips of some of the fender RI pickups that sound good too