1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fullest sounding high C

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by embellisher, Oct 23, 2003.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

I love the brightness of Dean Markley SR2000's, but I want a thicker sound from my high C.

So, you experienced 6 and tenor bass guys, what strings will give me a really bright sound, but at the same time, a really full, thick sounding C string?

2. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I've been pleased with the results I get from D'Addario SloWounds. I think their C is an .032, which is a hair bigger than the industry standard of .030.

I always heard them as less bright than a stainless roundwound, though. The regular nickel XL series C strings are a little more zingy than SWs, but not as much as stainless.

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I'm not playing a six now, but when I had my Peavey Axcelerator 6, LaBella Hard-Rockin' Steels were the best strings I tried. The C was pretty thick-sounding (for a C string).

4. redneck2wild

redneck2wild

Nov 27, 2002
    Memphis, TN
    Which set of Dean Markley's are you using?

The Medium gage has a good thick C string - I think it is .35 !
    The Tension on the C in the Medium gage is quite a bit higher than the Will Lee gage.

In general, a thicker string from the same product line (from the same manufacturer) tends to sound thicker - but it also has more tension.

5. PhilMan99

PhilMan99

Jul 18, 2003
    US, Maryland
    Probably not what you're looking for, but:
    * TI Jazz Flats (6-string 34") seem nicely balanced (I don't like the "piano" sound of round-wounds)

* No matter the strings, maybe (er, like me) you like to crank-up the low-eq. That will make the higher notes too quiet/dead. Especially noticable on a 6-stringer. Try a more flat EQ (or boost the mids to match the lows).

* Get a (good!) compressor. I use a cheapo DigiTech "Bass Squeeze" for my rather humble "career", but it really helps. With a compressor you can have your cake (low EQ) and eat it too (smooth-out volume/tone levels). If (unlike me) you use a lot of special techniques to emphasize some notes, you'd need a good compressor (~$200+).