1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fulltone Bass Drive Boost Question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BobKos, Sep 1, 2008.

1. BobKos

BobKos

Apr 13, 2007
    Hi All:

I have an older Fulltone Bass Drive pedal. It's the non-MosFET version. I bought it because my gear junkie friend told me I'd really love it once I have it. Truth is that I really don't use it. I normally plug my guitar into my amp without much in between the two.

Recently I dug up the Fulltone to experiment a little bit on fills for a one guitar band project. I think the distortion could help out here and there. More importantly, I thought the boost feature might help even more during certain passages. Truth is that I really don't know that much about using this pedal. What I have observed is that the boost only operates if the overdrive is turned on. I am wondering:

- Is the boost SUPPOSED to only operate while the overdrive is switched on?

- What would be the purpose of adding the boost to overdrive when there is already a volume control to boost the overdrive seemingly as high as you would want to go.

- If the boost circuit was designed to only run with the overdrive, can the pedal be modded to separate the two functions and make them independent?

Please share any thoughts on this boost feature.

2. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    i didnt like the the way the boost was set up on the bassdrive. its meant to be used as a solo boost type thing i believe... more useful for a guitarist.. HOWEVER you should try the HBE hematoma. the boost will function as a stand-alone and will be used to drive the overdrive circuit into a higher gain when used with the OD side.

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    That's the way it's supposed to work, but I agree. I would like to be able to use the boost by itself. I sent an email to Fulltone asking about this, but never received a response.

4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The boost is the worst feature on the Bassdrive. I just always left it cranked on full.

5. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    You need a Homebrew Electronics Hematoma.

I can hook you up. :ninja:

6. The GT-500 is more or less what everyone is asking for. It's got Boost and Overdrive, each separate of each other, and you can change the order (Boost>Drive or Drive>Boost) for when you collide them.

7. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    The bassdrive is just a ts-9 with a couple of tweaks. The boost is one of the added "features". The drive limits the gain, and the boost gives back the gain like a normal ts.

Note this is from a first rev of the board, so YMMV.

8. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I don't think of the boost channel on the Bassdrive as a boost per se but more of a second heavier channel of overdrive. I have mine set up so the first channel gives a slight bit of hair to the tone using the FM mode. Then when I kick in the "boost", I get a heavier overdrive that is only a tad louder then the first channel. Works great this way buts more of a dual channel system then an overdrive/boost combo.