1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fulltone Bass Drive MOSFET vs. Tech 21 SansAmp BDDI

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JSK5String, Jul 22, 2008.

1. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    I have the Fulltone now and like it, but I sure see a lot of you using the SansAmp. Anybody have experience with both? Let me know what you think. If it helps, my ideal tone is in the Eddie Jackson from Queensryche or Tom Petersson from Trick's first album vein. Thanks...

2. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    The Bass-Drive kicks the **** out of any Sansamp.

3. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Ditto...I think the Sansamp is very overrated myself, but I have to admit that the Tech 21 VT Character pedal really has my curiosity going.

4. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I tried both recently when I was replacing my stolen Greedtone. While I see a LOT of love for the BDDI around here, I could not get decent drive from it. I was using them with my gibson G3 which is fairly low output (compared to my Jazz) but that was kind of the point of the experiment since its a hard bass to get good OD with. I was running through the stock peavey 1x15 amp that GC keeps with their bass pedals which certainly isnt the greatest but it still made for an equal test.

The upshoot was that I bought the Fulltone because, as prime said, compared to the BDDI it was balls to the wall. As it is though, I have the gain cranked on the fulltone for the G3, but I don't like the sound of it with my other basses and plan on returning it once my replacement Greedtone comes in next week.

5. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    I have both. :)

6. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    I have both and I dont consider the Sans Amp to be a very good overdrive. Its a great pre amp and tone shaping device but not the best overdrive per se.

The Fulltone gives you two channels of overdrive that are both useful and you can still hear the tone and character of your bass. The Sans Amp completely colors your tone and replicates a cranked tube amp with a scooped mids effect. Although the two units seem to be compared to each other often, they are nothing alike.

7. Kael

Kael

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    I have both although I rarely use either. I find the SABDDI to be very useful for ampless gigs. I use it solely for that purpose. Isn't the best sounding thing in the world but it definitely beats moving a rig for quick low volume gigs. I am not a big effects guy, but if I am after overdrive, I would hands down choose the Fulltone Bassdrive. I actually find myself kinda wishing that I could dial back the overdrive a tad more than it'll go at times. Keep in mind that I am not an overdrive fan though. The only "effect" I routinely use is a Sadowsky DI/preamp.

8. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    Thanks for the great feedback so far. One note, I'm not a big fan of "pedal dancing." I find my tone and go with it all night. The way I use the Fulltone is to add a touch of growl to my Trace Elliot rig. So, not so much as an overdrive or distortion, but rather as a "growler." I think I just coined a new name for a whole new line of pedals. :hyper:

Let me know if this changes your thoughts on comparing the two. Thanks...

9. Lucas G

Lucas G

Jan 14, 2007
    masury, OH
    i had a sansamp programmable for a while, i figured i would use it for a three-channel drive pedal with at least one channel always on for some dirt instead of its actual intended purpose as a DI. i didn't like it AT ALL, but at the same time i realize i wanted it to do something it isn't really supposed to do.

i bought i fulltone bass drive to do what i wanted the PBDDI to do, and i love it. it is pretty much always on but with the drive turned almost completely off, just to add a little grit to my sound.

so, i am using it exactly the way you are using it, OP- and chose the fulltone over the sansamp.

10. JSK5String

JSK5String

May 19, 2008
    Littleton, CO
    OK, sounds like the Fulltone beats the SansAmp BDDI for adding growl. Anybody with experience comparing the Fulltone to the Tech 21 VT Bass? Thanks...

"The people might be lookin' at the stars, but the butts are all groovin' to the bass guitar."

11. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    The VT Bass is so new that most of us haven't been able to hear one yet. It looks promising so far but likely wont have some of the features of the Fulltone, such as true bypass and a very limited effect on your original tone.

12. Kosko

Kosko

Dec 12, 2005
    Buffalo
    I was thinking this question and it ended up being one of the top hits on Google. Funny. Well anyways, I think this old thread deserves a bump now that the VT has been around a while.

Anybody with experience comparing the Fulltone to the Tech 21 VT Bass?

13. Ebelow

Ebelow Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2008
    San Jose, CA
    Bump :)
    +1 to Fulltone BD
    I had all the Tech 21 products and I liked to use them on amp-less situations, but with my amp never really got da tone what I liked and than I had the Fulltone BD and I got very close with it to Eddies sound.
    I started to play bass because of Eddie Jackson (especially the Empire album and his bass tone) since than I am after that sound, so with my Mesa amp and cabs, MM Stingray5 HH and Fulltone I was very happy and than foolishly sold the Fulltone and all my pedals (I had to raise money to my new bass) than the first moment when I got some extra cash, straight I bought back the FBD as my missing point from my"Queensryche's tone". :D
    I would say, slight overdrive with Fulltone with the right amp and bass (specially Spector I had that one to) will takes you there.
    ohh one more thing the Fulltone not so great on amp-less situations, so I am using the MXR M80+ for that, but the VT Bass an awesome option too!

14. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    I have both.

I bought the Fulltone early on and it's still my "go to" dirt box. I bought the BDDI after my head blew a tube and I wanted to pickup a good DI for backup, and the ratings on this board were strong.

Didn't spend a lot of time with the BDDI, and while I still own it (just in case) it's not my tone the way that the Bass Drive is and hasn't been on my board for a while now.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 6, 2021