Fulltone Bass-Drive On/Off Switch Problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CallMeBlind, Mar 13, 2006.

1. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    I was playing with the band today - Yamaha TRB through Mesa Walkabout and when I pressed the switch on my bass-drive I heared quite noticable click from the amp. I switched on/off few times and every time I heared that click. I decided not to lose time and check it home. When i came home, I pluged my Spector bass (Yamaha belongs to our guitar player) through my home amp, switched on/off Fulltone for a couple of times and.... no click at all. What could it be?
  2. lowmid

Feb 2, 2005
    fulltone advices to click it a couple of times to unload the switch, maybe this could be the trick
  3. donut

Jan 27, 2004
    Sounds like maybe a dodgy power supply - try sticking a 9v (or two) in the pedal if you haven't already.
  4. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Or, it COULD just be to true-bypass click that all TB pedals make.
  5. jamesblue

jamesblue Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2005
    Central Maryland
    Could be the stomp button/switch, they do go bad after a few hundred clicks. Replacements are available, I'm sure FullTone may fix it if you mail it to them, call first.
  6. dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    mine did the exact same thing when i was testing it out in the store (ray+ fulltone+ SVT). The guy in the store assured me it was to do with an earthing problem in the store and (jedi master of salesmen that he was) insisted i take it home with me to try it out for a few hours. Sure enough it was fine back at mine.

So I bought and have been 23.76% happier ever since.

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    it could be the amp setup that you were using. An EQ with higher treble would make the click more noticable, plus it could be that the spector is played toned down and the yamaha wasn't.
  8. CallMeBlind

Jul 19, 2003
    Thanks for all the replies. I hope switch is not broken. I'll try Spector through Mesa next time to see if it's earthing or Yamaha.
  9. donut

Jan 27, 2004
    Not if they're wired properly.

In the attached pic:

Red = Input
    Green = Output
    Blue = FX Send (LHS) and Return (RHS)

If you look at the wrong way to wire a switch, when the effect is bypassed the FX Send isn't grounded. The pop you hear when you engage the effect is the initial potential difference between the Input and the FX Send. In the correct wiring, the FX Send is grounded when the effect is bypassed, eliminating this problem.

I think, anyway. :)

EDIT: Of course, with dodgy earthing I don't think it makes much difference which wiring is used.

Attached Files: