Fulltone Bass Drive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by texture'62, Jan 22, 2001.

1. texture'62

Aug 14, 2000
    Has anyone played one of these pedals. They are handmade by Mike Fuller in California and provide some awesone bass overdrive/distortion. I played one the other day at a boutique music stote in Chicago and was amazed but I have a few questions especially what does the Volume knob do when you pull it up and put the pedal in "comp-cut" mode.
  2. I got to try one out at a music store once. It definitely sounds better than any bass distortion/overdrive/fuzz unit I've ever used, but at the time it really didn't seem to have what I was looking for. I'd really like to try it through my own amp, as the Bassdrive seems like it is dependant on the character of the amp.

If for some reason I ever HAD to buy some gain based pedal right now.. I would go with the Bassdrive.. but at this moment I'd say I'd have to try it out a bit more. I really wanted to get the super warm sound of a tube amp breaking up like Jack Bruce's tone (Crossroads is probably the best example of that tone I can think of), but after a lot of tweaking with the bass, the pedal, and the amp, it just didn't seem to come out.

But who knows, with more time, perhaps the manual, and the right amp, that tone might be extremely easy to dial up.

I'm not really sure about the comp-cut either.
  3. I'm just posting to bring this thing up to the top again as I'm interested in getting one. Can you characterise the sounds it gets a little? Also has anyone tried the Fulltone ChoralFlange? Any opinions welcome.
  4. I would have to say that the pedal is very transparent.. meaning that your distorted tone will still sound like you are playing your bass and your amp. It's not like a lot of pedals that pretty much make any bass and amp combo sound the same.

The transparent and uncolored sound thing seems to be the consensus for opinions about both the Bassdrive and its guitar counterpart, the Fulldrive.

The distortion is definitely not buzzy at all.... I would describe it as being a smooth grittiness.... if that makes any sense... which it sort of doesn't ;)
  5. It sounds great, though i'm not sure when i'll be able to justify the expense ... Does anyone have an mp3 or two ???
  6. I once sent emails to both Mike Fuller and Musictoyz.com, a Fulltone dealer, asking for some Bassdrive samples.. and got no response whatsoever from either.

That was probably 6 months ago.
  7. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

after trying out, and buying, a lot of distortion and OD pedals, I found a FullDrive II (gtr. pedal) used at a music store. Trying it out with a bass I was floored. Yep...it thinned out the bottom, but Gawd, what a tone! Violin-like sustain and all. I bought it and e-mailed Fulltone about their bass version. Mike Fuller e-mailed me back offering to upgrade it to BassDrive specs. A week later I have my "customized" FullDriveII...and it is awesome. It really is the best bast OD I have found.....even over my SWR Insterstellar Overdrive.
    I don't use the "comp-out" switch too much...but what it does is place the pedal into a hi-gain mode (and I mean Hi-GAin!) The dist. is a bit more squirrly there....a bit more over the top.
  8. damn it, max, you're pushing me over the GAS edge here .... I don't suppose you could post an mp3 of your sound? I'd be really interested.

I got an interesting sound yesterday, and i think i'll use it live next weekend. I got a cheap little line splitter box & used it to run 2 lines out - one through my sans-amp and modulation FX and into my Big Rig. The other goes through a Danelectro Fab Tone into a 12", 25 watt combo with all the bass pulled out, and i crank the volume on the pedal all the way to max, and drop the level on the little amp so there's no sound when the pedal's off. You step on the Fab Tone, and there's this massive blast of dirty mids/highs that comes in over the clean signal (which is absolutely unchanged).

This way, i don't risk damaging my expensive rig, i lose nothing in the way of bottom end, and i don't have a massive extra box to take to a gig - this thing's the size of a snare drum. Since the little amp doesn't have to deal with distorted low bass frequencies, it should'nt damage the cone - it's just like really thick guitar distortion. I'll get the sound guy to mic' it up just like a guitar amp.
  9. How does the Fulltone compare to the Sans Amp BDDI when it is used as an OD?