Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fulltone Bass Driver any good?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 33degrees, Oct 23, 2005.

1. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    i have the possiblilty to buy one, are they all that?

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

To me, they are.
    They're very expensive but I can't think of a better overdrive.

3. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    Definately very good. Give one a test if you can. I think you'll find it is the best stock bass overdrive pedal. It is better, than most, if not all the other mass produced bass overdrive pedals.

4. Jazz Ad

The Jacques Tubeblower comes very close for much less. It's the only serious competitor I found.

5. ritterbass

ritterbass

Oct 17, 2005
    never tried one before...the only ones i have owned or tried were the boss odb3,marshall gov 2, big muff, z-vex wooly mamouth(very unique and amazing fuzz for bass), tech 21 sans amp, and mxr bass 80 di. I need to give the tech 21 a more serious try though. I know after I tried out the fulltone bass drive it stood out and there was just no going back after that for me. Having the fulltone bass drive has pretty much made looking at anything else pointless for me.

6. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    can it sound tubey?

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    IMO no. It has great distortion, and cuts through the mix nicely, so it's a fine pedal for that, but it absolutely doesn't have the warmth or dynamic response of overdriven tubes. Whenever people go on about the even-order harmonics from a solid-state circuit giving "tube-like" sound, they are totally pulling your chain with advertising hype. So buy the BassDrive because it's an awesome cutting distortion, but don't be fooled that it will give some kind of tube amp mojo.

8. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    One of the best overdrive's I've come across.

Go for it

9. Jazz Ad

I will have to completely disagree.
    It gets a very convincing tube-like grit on lower settings.
    It's an overdrive and doesn't try to cut through the mix with a razor blade.
    Also, there are many ways to make solid-state circuits sound like tubes. Valves are nothing magical, just an electronical component that can be replaced.

10. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I'm going to slightly agree with Jazzad.

I use the Fulltone Bassdrive (newer model with the 3 way switch) with an Eden WT800 and D410XLT cab. With the TONE knob on the Bassdrive completely off, the volume of the pedal somewhere between 9:00-12:00 (pending how close to your amp volume you want it) and with a tad bit of the overdrive thrown in (somewhere between 9:00-12:00) it is VERY CONVINCING as a tube-ish overdrive. This is in VINTAGE mode however, but the compcut mode is pretty near it as well. Mind you, the volume boost in compcut mode is simply ridiculous. The main thing here is that the TONE knob be off as it creates a sort of guitar-like quality to your bass. Keeping it off maintains all the low end. Great for heavy chord progressions however!

I'm comparing it to my old Ampeg V4B being pushed near its limits through a 1x15 Ampeg cab and also to an SVT through an 8x10 Ampeg cab I giged a couple times. The Fulltone Bassdrive is an excellent substitute for those times you want a bit of "vintage" tube drive, yet you want the clarity of certain solid state or hybrid amps. Not saying some tube amps aren't clear, however. But, the Ampegs I've tried are the farthest from clear to me.

Anyway, I love the pedal. I love how it is true bypass. I love how they have the 3 way selector now. I pretty much love everything about this pedal. For the quality, sound, true bypass, and the 2 channels, I believe it is well worth the extra cash. Sometimes it is just not worth settling for a cheaper pedal...

11. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Another 2 thumbs up!

Great overdrive pedal...I also think at lower settings it does a great rendition of tube overdrive. I've tried a few other OD pedals out there and this is the one for me. Its got a gritty yet warm and organic feel to its tone.

12. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under
    Does anyone have samples?

lets get some warm punch over drive and some chunky distortion going...

PLEASE

13. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    I`ll have some studio samples later this year...if that means anything to you haha

14. Nuk3m

Nuk3m

Sep 18, 2004
    Down Under

yeh why not, dont forget about me now when later this year comes round. ;)

15. I use mine with my SVT to get the "raging SVT" sound without being absolutely deafening. I've compared both and the Fulltone does a convincing job. I set up the OD channel for that and the boost channel for all-out fuzz.

16. StarchMan

StarchMan

Jul 30, 2003
    Mr. Reccord, you have excellent taste. What are we the only two bassists in St. John's with Fulltone pedals?

17. I thought I was the only one until I saw this thread...:D

The Bassdrive is a very good pedal, no doubt about it!

Where'd you get yours?

18. if you like pedals made by someone who steals other peoples ideas or just copies them and then says he came up with the concept. then he sends you a cease and desist letter. this happend to someone I know.

19. 33degrees

33degrees

Jun 4, 2005
    Spain
    so what is the original, anologue mans tube screamer mod? whats a
    cease and desist letter?
    thanks

20. I do not know if this pedal is an original or a copy. I just know that some of his products are. A cease and desist letter is when you tell someone that you will sue them if the do not stop making a product that you feel you have the sole legal rights to. In this case my friend had been making a pedal for quite awhile( I dont remember what it was, I would have to ask him). I think he was charging like $20.00 on ebay. It was some pedal that let you control a function on a other pedal(cant remeber wich one). Fulltone started making them after my buddy started. A couple weeks later fulltone sent him a cease and desist. Basically fulltone said that he came up with the idea, and if he did not stop making them he was going to sue him. He looked inside of the fulltone version and it was the exact same thing, but fulltone was charging like three times as much.
    I am not trying to upset anyone, or start a big fight. :bag: I just though you would like to know the kind of ethics that company has.