Fulltone Bass Driver....is it what I need?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Andy Cleaver, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Andy Cleaver

Andy Cleaver A show of hands....

Dec 16, 2004
    England, Midlands
    I currently play in a hard rock band and occasionally need so dist/overdrive to kick up parts of a song. I'm currently playing my Modulus through a ODB-3 which I borrow from someone but I just hate the thing! Too noisey, all fuzz and not much else.

Is the Fulltone a good choice for distortion/overdrive needs? I know its true bypass which is great, and I've heard its a really really quiet pedal as well with no unwanted noise?

My other question relates to the boost part of the pedal. When this is activated is there a increase in volume/unwanted noise?

I did a search beforehand but thought I'd be better making this seperate post!

Cheers :)!
  2. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Its a really really good pedal. David Wilson and I were talking about it the other day, he thinks its the best, im inclined to agree.
  3. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    The thing I love about this pedal is its ability to maintain the tone of your bass while adding grit. It can get raunchy, though that's not really this pedal's forte. Instead, you can dial in real musical distortion that's useable.

When engaging the boost, it basically produces a louder version of this tone that's great for standing out, such as for soloing. I don't recall the addition of any unwanted noise, however.

It's a remarkably well-built pedal that I'd recommend in a heartbeat, unless someone wants constant, over-the-top fuzz.
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I'm inclinded to disagree. It's too cold and sterile - I think most of the Fulltone stuff is. It's analog, but it's the coldest sounding alalog stuff I've heard out there. Granted they're built well, and they are quiet, but they just lack the MOJO for me.

I just scooped up a Mesa Boogie Bottle Rocket - that's some fun overdrive. Warm, tubey goodness. It's essentially the same circuit that's in the overdive section on the Big Block 750. I hear good things about the Buddha bass overdrive pedal as well.
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Ben, just curious, did you try it in comp cut mode?

FWIW, I do think the Bassdrive is a great pedal. I think the EBS gets a slightly warmer overdrive sound, but the Fulltone has the very handy two channel operation.
  6. hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    A couple of things I've noticed about my Fulltone Bass Drive pedal:

1. The distortion doesn't have much high-end, unless you have the tone knob cranked. This isn't necessarily a bad thing - it's a really smooth sound, but if you're looking for aggressive, then this might not be it.

2. Someone above said that engaging the boost increases the volume - mine might be an older model (it has the pull-switch for the comp cut, rather than a toggle that I've seen on some), but when I hit the boost switch, the volume stays exactly the same, but the amount of distortion increases. In other words, on my pedal the boost acts as a "distortion boost" or "gain boost", not overall "volume boost"...
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've tried it every way possible. Just don't dig it.
  8. The Fulltone Bass Drive is one pedal I couldn't live without. I just wish there was a way to switch between the CompCut and Vintage mode.
  9. RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I have the newer model. The boost knob affects the boost switch. If I turn up the boost knob beyond about 8 o'clock, the volume is noticeably louder with the Boost engaged. Keep in mind 8 o'clock is a setting of about 2.
  10. slinkp

Aug 29, 2003
    brooklyn, NY, USA
    I tried the Fulltone in a store and tried to like it for about half an hour... it just didn't float my boat. (The salesmen did not like me much that day!)

I ended up with an R. Keeley-modified Blues Driver. I'm a happy camper now. I also tried his Rat mod, which sounded incredible on guitar but didn't quite get the right tone for me on bass - too much of a mid boost.
  11. I love the Fulltone Bassdrive. It sounds very very well on my already overdriven Ampeg. The Vintage and FM mode give nice distortion/overdrive sounds, but sound very very compressed. They don't cut enough in my loud rockband. Together with clean guitars it sounds very awesome though.
    I prefer the CompCut mode, it cuts through the mix like a chainsaw through wood. Note that my bass-sound is very aggressive (G&L L2000 with all boosts on, bridge pickup, played with a pick) with loads of bass and mids on the amp. The Bassdrive pedal makes it even raunchier. Nasty and I love it.
  12. tat2d_13

Feb 4, 2004
    Minnesota USA
    I love my fulltone bassdrive!I run it together with the sans amp di and I never turn em off.Its gives me a warm gritty tone I dig.
  13. Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    How well does the Bottle Rocket do mild overdrive? Does it give that nice thickening effect?