Fulltone Bassdrive and EBS Multicomp SETTINGS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by platt, May 7, 2005.

1. platt

May 4, 2005
    I own both and was wondering how others have their settings for these two fine boxes.
    So please leave your detailled knob-setting here. :)
  2. Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    comp: 10.30
    gain : 8.00

...in tube mode
  3. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT

Vol: 9:00
    Tone: 10:00
    OD: 2:00
    Boost: 9:00-10:00

4. platt

May 4, 2005
    C'mon guys, there must be more owners!
    For the Fulltone: leave your switch-setting too...

I will show my settings in a few weeks since i'm still playing with the thingies.
    For the Fulltone i can say that OD and Boost never exceeds 09:00...so far... :ninja:
  5. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Platt...compare the two units please.
  6. nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    EBS Multicomp:
    comp - 10:30 finger style, 12:00 slap
    gain - 9:00
    internal pots both on 12:00
    passive mode

For fine tuning of Multicomp there was a detailed info on Harmony Central User reviews page

If you don't mind I will quote here:

For the MultiComp to work right, you need to be in control of your threshold:

First, A/B the Active and Passive positions of the tiny switch on the side by the input jack. It assumes that an active bass puts out more voltage, and tries to compensate by raising the compression threshold (the level where gain reduction kicks in), so compression only kicks in with a higher bass signal.
    Yes, it's counter intuitive: lower threshold gives more compression.
    Weird analogy: say bass signal strength = a person's height, and threshold = a ceiling height. If you want to compress an 8 foot tall person, put him in a room with a 6 foot ceiling. If you want to compress a 4 foot person in that room, you'll have to lower the ceiling to 3 feet or so.

But (back to that switch: ) some active basses don't put out any more juice than average passive pickups. Example: the EMG BT system. So how do you make sure your threshold is where your bass needs it to be?

What you need to do is this: Start with the Active/Passive switch set to match your bass's kind of electronics. With your bass's volume at full, and your tone where you usually keep it, and with the MultiComp's ratio knob set to maximum, play your bass through the pedal. Compare the sound with the footswitch on and off. Firstoff: for a medium strength string pluck, equalize the volume between On and Off with the gain knob. Continue to A/B on and off: is the compression subtle, or obvious? (The top red led glows stronger with more compression; but you bought the pedal for sound, right? So use your ears.)
    - If it's about as strong as you can ever imagine wanting your compression, then your threshold is probably ok.
    - If you don't hear much compression, you need to bring threshold down to where it kicks in with lower signals. If you're playing an active bass with the little input switch set to Active, try lowering the threshold by switching it to Passive. Now your signal should be more able to reach the threshold (and so trigger more compression).
    - If you were already on the Passive setting, or still need more obvious compression, you'll need to go inside the pedal:

Unscrew the plate off the bottom of the pedal, and have a look at the 2 small screwdriver-operated adjustment pots (potentiometers) off to the right side. (The manual says these are only for multiband mode, but I haven't verified that.) These, combined with the Active/Passive switch multiplier, set where the threshold is.
    With the threshold already somewhat lower via the external Passive setting, we can bring it down more with these internal pots. They should be at their central position; use a tiny screwdriver (for glasses or jewelry), and _gently_ turn them clockwise -- try 2 oclock on both (in Multiband-mode, the right one controls highs, the left one lows). Again, it's counter-intuitive: clockwise _lowers_ the threshold; but then again it causes more compression, so it's not so dumb.
    The full travel of these pots is only about 280 degrees, so remember the gentle part.
    Incidentally, 2 o'clock is where I have mine set (I kept the side switch on Active), to work with EMGs. This gets me lots of compression, which I moderate with the ratio knob. I couldn't be happier!

Anyway, you get the idea: With ratio dimed and bass full volume and flat, set threshold so you get the most compression you'll ever need, and then ease back on the ratio knob. If or when you're more familiar with compression, obviously this is just a guideline that you may want to deviate from. Ultimately, play around until your ears are happy.

Realize this: there is a lot more electrical energy in low sounds than high, so lots of lows on your bass will reach the threshold sooner and trigger more compression than lots of highs. If you set any compressor to where you like it, and then jack up the lows on your bass, it's going to behave very differently. If you can manage it, it's better to make tone changes (especially lows) AFTER the compressor. For some people, a pedal EQ is the answer; for others, just reach for your amp.
    Similarly, you many want to stop adjusting your bass's volume, leave it on full and adjust at your amp or with a volume pedal. (Unless you don't mind losing your compression at lower volumes.) This is less relevant if you only use the multiband mode, but I still think it's a good guideline.
    bungletrpg and BPhillips like this.
  7. saxnbass

Mar 9, 2006
    Nashville, TN
    Old thread revived. Oh, pics are the best way to show knob settings ;)