Fulltone BassDrive & English Muffn'

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mooooooo, Feb 17, 2006.

1. Mooooooo

Feb 1, 2006
    I know you guys are probably fed up with threads on fuzzes and distortion as well as the verus threads, sorry. Anyway, have any of you tried both the Fulltone and Muffn? What are their main differences in sound and usage? Cheers
  2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I have owned both. They are completely different IMO. The Bassdrive provides a grittier, chunkier sound; the Muff'n provides a smoother sound that ranges from a slight tube fizziness to a bright fuzz. Personally I would use the Muff'n for two tones: "tube amp simulation" and "60's guitar solo". The Bassdrive OTOH sounds to me more like something a heavy-metal/detuned "alternative" band would like. Although they both can get either subtle or extreme, I think the Muff'n covers the far ends (most subtle and most yowling) better, while the Bassdrive handles the "I am distorted all the time" middle ground better. Also, both of them can be used to overdrive the input of a tube amp, but I think the Muff'n sounds better for that than the Bassdrive. YMMV.
  3. rayzak

Jan 13, 2001
    Louisville, KY
    Great review Bongomania,
    I've been wondering about these as well.
  4. Mooooooo

Feb 1, 2006
    Great info, man. Although it's kind of diffucult for me to understand what how the bass in "heavy-metal/detuned alternative" band would sound like. I play in a band which is leaning to a lighter sound, maybe similar to Broken Social Scene (yep, in my dreams) with occasional louder trips. Seems like the Muffn' will fit my needs better, right?