Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FULLTONE BASSDRIVE HELP

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jazzmann23, Aug 25, 2003.

1. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    What's the difference between the first and second version? this guy on eBay told me he did'nt think there was a second verion and that I was probably thinking of a Fulldrive2? Am I confused or is he?

2. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    Your confused.

There is only one version of the FBD.

They have come in different colored boxes and different styles of knobs, but inside they are the same as the original Fulltone Fulldrives that were converted to Bass Drives in the beginning.

3. Speaking of converted Full Drives.... Anyone know exactly what was changed in the Full Drive circuit to make it a Bass Drive?

I've built a bass modified version of the "Full Clone 2" which uses the orginal Full Drive schematic. To make it bass friendly I changed the bass rolloff in the gain stage to allow the bottom to pass through.

I'd love to know what is going on with the Bass Drive.

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Mr Fuller says on his website:

Either way, it's still by far the best od/distortion pedal for bass I've tried (and I've tried just about every one out there).

5. jazzmann23

jazzmann23 Guest

Sep 11, 2002
    Murfreesboro, TN
    thanx guys, but i swear I heard there were two different versions of the FBD somewhere, guess i heard wrong

6. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I had heard the same thing and e-mailed Mike Fuller, who informed me that there is indeed only one version of the Bass-Drive, no matter what the color of the box.

Tom.

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Where the confusion arises is in the packaging. The first BassDrives were modified FullDrives with the phrase BassDrive taped over where it said FullDrive. In later runs, the BassDrive got it's very own case.

8. Yes, I have read this, but it doesn't explain _how_ the extra octave of bass is acheived. You can add bass by modifying the bass roll off in the 4558's feedback loop, but you can also modify the tone circuit to affect lower frequencies.

I'd like to know what exactly has changed from the Full Drive to make the Bass Drive. I'm sure it is only a few components, probably a couple of capacitors.

9. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    Hey Jazzmann I think I was the guy who told you there was no Bass Drive II. Did you email me with a question for the seller? If so, it was me *lol*