Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fulltone Bassdrive power supply?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Hugh Jazz, Nov 3, 2003.

1. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, after a lot of deliberation, I'm minutes away from ordering a Fulltone Bassdrive. My final question is: will a generic power supply work with/fit in the pedal? Also, how long is the normal battery life?

I'm going to be ordering the pedal from musictoyz.com, and they do sell a fulltone power supply (FP-1 & 2) for $15. Do you think it's a worthwhile investment to get the power supply with the pedal, or could I save some money by finding something else at say Best Buy, Circuit City, Radio Shack, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Yes, a standard boss type power supply will work with it.

Why not get a universal power supply - like the godlyke one - which will work with just about any pedal. They cost about $40.

btw, one word of advice. Call musictoyz before ordering and make sure they have it in stock.

3. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks! I appreciate the advice.

Btw...where can I get the goldyke one (and can it accomodate more than one pedal)?

4. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  5. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I use the One Space power supply (with extensions), and it works quite well with my Fulltone and other pedals. You are going to enjoy your Bass Drive!

Tom.

6. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Well, I got my Bass Drive the other day. I must say, this thing can really spit out some gain! I totally wasn't expecting this much. I have a pretty gainy/raw tone as it is, and I was looking for something to make it crunchier and thicker, and while I haven't found my ideal setting yet, this pedal really took it to an almost fuzz sound.

One question though: it seems like I do lose some low end beef. Could it be because of all the compression in the distortion sounds (I mainly use the vintage setting), because it appears to resolve itself in the compcut mode. I wonder how much of a difference a power supply would make, as I'm using a duracell to power mine. An 18v supply might be interesting as well, except I don't konw where to get one of those.

Also, the boost really seems to be a subtle effect in the FM and Vintage modes. The sound will get grainer and a tad louder, but it's not as big a difference as I had expected. Then again...I haven't had to much time to play with it, so there's still a lot of discovering to do.

Oh yeah, can some of you share the settings that you use? I know the same settings won't necessarily translate, but it would be nice to see how everyone sits his/her controls.

Thanks.

7. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    You're right, the tone is definitely a bit thinner in compcut down mode. Good for the boost channel for a cutting distortion (not sure I'd call it a fuzz), but not necessarily for overdrive.

With compcut down, I have volume at around 10am, tone around 2-3pm, overdrive around 9am and boost around 11am. If I'm not going between overdrive and boost channel during the same song, I'll put tone up to pretty much full for engaging distortion.
    With compcut up, volume tone and overdrive stay the same but boost comes way down to around 8am.

8. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, I've noticed that it's probably best to keep overdrive low, at least in the beginning. My first instinct was to goose it, but holy schnikies, that was way too much. I think cut it down and I started to get some crunch. (It's pretty much the same rule for good guitar rhythm distortion). At the moment, I use the normal (unboosted) mode, but will figure out a good setting for using the boost (probably for solos or lead lines).

From what I remember, my volume is at 12:00, tone at 12:00-1:00, distortion at 9:00 maybe, and boost pretty much the same, though I haven't really used that much yet.

Any other takers?

9. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    ????? You sure you have a Bass-Drive and not the Full-Drive? My Bass-Drive doesn't have different modes other than comp and comp-cut. The Fulltone web site shows the Full-Drive as having those additional modes. That could be the cause of your thinning lows and fuzzy sound. Or did they upgrade the Bass-Drive and not update the web site?

As far as the 18v power supply goes, it's nice but not at all required. It adds some headroom and some drive. Doesn't really change the sound at all, just adds more! Danelectro makes an 18v wall wart if you want to try it out.

Chris

10. David Wilson

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Good catch, when I read that in the original post about the different modes I guess I thought it referred to some example settings in the manual.

11. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Seconded. I can't find anything on the web that suggests the Bassdrive has had those extra modes added and IME you don't lose any lows with the Bassdrive.

Alex

12. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Positive. It's definitely a silver pedal that says Bass-Drive, and it has a three way toggle switch.

Here's a pic:

[​IMG]

13. Chrisrm

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Wow!! Talk about out of no where. I wonder when they changed it. I also wonder how it sounds compared to the old model.

14. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, it's pretty crazy, because I remember reading about the volume/comp-cut being a push/pull switch. But sure enough, mine has a toggle switch. Hopefully it's not a Full-Drive circuit in a Bass-Drive housing.....

The best way for me to describe the sound based on my limited playing time is that the FM sounds the most compressed/squished, which saturates the sound with distortion a lot and thus makes it more wooly/dirty. The Vintage mode has more clarity with the presence of more midrange, and is a subtle difference from the FM mode, with the main difference being a more breathable sound. Comp-cut is the most open and significantly louder when turned up. It also has the least amount of distortion, if I remember correctly. Lots of versatility in this pedal, but I need to experiment to find the crunch and smooth, sustaining lead tones that I want.

As for how recent this change is, my pedal is dated 10/03, so I guess it is pretty recent.

15. Chrisrm

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    Comp-cut sounds likes it's the same on both pedals, and FM sounds like comp mode on the older ones. Hmmm.......Makes me want a vintage mode! I wonder if they'll upgrade older pedals. Questions, questions.........

Chris

16. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Yeah, to me Vintage definitely sounds better than FM, so I'd advise getting it if you can.