1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fulltone Bassdrive vs. Tech21 VT Bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by theophilus762, Mar 17, 2009.

1. theophilus762

theophilus762 Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Whats up guys,

Is there anyone that has owned both and can make any comments on how they compare? While I love my Bassdrive Mosfet, I've been reading a lot of great reviews on the VT Bass, and I'd love to try it out. I'm scouring the accessories subforum for one of these, but they're hard to come by.

I also have a 2nd bassdrive (non-mosfet) that I'm trying to sell/trade for a VT bass so if any of you guys are interested, PM me!

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I don't have a Bassdrive, but I would definitely recommend having both as I love the overdrive sound I get from my Bad Monkey (which is kinds similar to the Bassdrive) going into the VT far better than anything I can get from the VT alone.

3. mrkreuzschlitz

mrkreuzschlitz

Jun 30, 2008
    Dacula, GA
    The Sansamps don't get very dirty IME.

Now run some dirt into them,
    its over. ;)

4. jetofuj

jetofuj

Jun 16, 2008
    PL
    I think that BassDrive and VT are totally different animals. VT is a tube emulator, so it colours your tone very much. It's a great unit, but if you want fuzz/distortion I'd look for something else.

5. Michael Vee

Michael Vee Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I've experimented quite a bit with my VT. Something that gives you a lot of range of grind is to preamp the VT, either from a really hot bass output, or to use a dedicated preamp pedal/gain booster. This is similar to what the Dave Hall tube pedals do- they have a boost section going into the tube, to jack up the overdrive and distortion.

I have had a Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster pedal (the red one) for some time, and fronting the VT with it, and varying the boost, gives VERY satisfactory grind and distortion with many settings of the VT, especially with a passive bass.

Although I really like the basic sounds from the VT with a passive bass, boosting the levels really makes the VT come alive.

6. theophilus762

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Thanks for all the input so far guys.

I play a Modulus Quantum 5, and even though it can provide a hot output, I also have a Sadowsky Preamp/DI that I run into, and then I can even use the fulltone as a boost.

I'm starting a new rock project, so I was looking at getting a grittier/dirty tone and though I have the fulltone, I'd like to know my options!

7. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Since when is a VT Bass an Overdrive? :p

It's a different beast, no sense in trying to compare.

Just get it and see for yourself, pretty sure you'll love it

8. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I have both on my pedal board right now - would not want to get rid of either. The VT I use for a bid of shimmer as well as a mid-boost from the eq section while the BD is more for grit.

9. theophilus762

Nov 4, 2006
    Durham, NC
    Exactly. I would use the VT bass for a slightly breaking-up tone, while the fulltone i would use for more of a definite overdrive.

I play my Q5 into a LMII and an Epifani UL410, so it's not exactly a SVT CL + 810 setup that I admit, is appropriate for rock.

Not getting rid of my markbass/epifani stack ANYTIME soon though. :D

10. Crabby

Crabby

Dec 22, 2004
    They are not the same type of pedal at all. The Fulltone is a dedicated bass overdrive pedal and the VT is a pre amp that emulates the tone of an SVT rig. I had both but have kept the Fulltone as I use the overdrive more and found that i just didn't need or want to heavily color my tone with the VT bass. If you are looking specifically to alter your tone to replicate a slightly breaking up warm tube am, then the VT Bass is THE pedal.