1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fulltone Fatboost v1 vs. Electronix (Ziebek) Submarine w/Ultrabass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scubaduba, Nov 19, 2010.

1. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Which one folks. I can get a used Fatboost in near mint locally for $60. Love the sound from the Fatboost. Seems very clean but, well, fatter. :)

I'm not able to test a Submarine in person. So I need to rely on the experience of you all who have used both. What are the strengths and weaknesses of both of these fine pedals?

Thanks

2. A definite weakness of the Submarine would be customer service. There's a huge thread on here where a lot of TBers have had issues with defective pedals, sending things back to be repaired, etc. A number of those guys still haven't gotten their pedals back. I'm sure your question is about tonal characteristics, but I don't think we can mention Ziebek without discussing the potential issues that may arise if something goes wrong with it.

FWIW, I own a Submarine - it does what you describe the Fatboost as doing. It is a preamp with a lot of clarity that sort of rounds things out. It doesn't really do anything that my BDDI can't. I'm not sure how long I'll be holding onto mine, but my impressions of the Submarine sound similar to what you like of the Fatboost.

-Joe

3. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I'm going by my FB-3....

The Ultrabass switch will be the major difference. It will give you deeper bass than the Fatboost.

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are so many other options out there, too. It's not like "tone boost" pedals are hard to find, there are dozens of them on the market.

5. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Yes understood. I guess I'm not sold on either of the two I've referenced. But I have heard great things about both. I like the Fatboost I've personally tried. But I've not been able to try the Submarine. So I was hoping people had direct comparison commentary.

If you have others that come highly recommended fire away. Note: I do also have a VT Bass which can serve as a "tone boost" pedal but it really is meant to alter tone obviously. I'm looking for something more subtle. Doesn't need to be totally clean.

6. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I found that the VT Bass made the Submarine irrelevant. You really couldn't tell if the Submarine was on or off when the VT was on. So if you use the VT a lot, don't even bother with a Submarine.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well... I had a Fatboost V1 and a Submarine Deluxe. The FB was warmer and was capable of a slight tad of grit on top. The SD was "tighter" and more modern-sounding. The FB had a bit less noise than the SD. As cybersnyder said, if you get a Sub with the Ultrabass switch, then that's a bass boost you won't get with the FB. The basic tone knob of the Sub is not significantly better or more interesting than the tone knob on the FB.

8. Have you considered the Aphex Bass Xciter? I got mine pretty cheap (used) and it's one of those pedals that makes even an ol' tin ears guy like me go "wow".

Fat, fat, fat from any rig I've tried mine through. And clean.

Just a suggestion for an alternative...

(Does the DI thing as well).

9. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Yeah I've thought about the Aphex. But I've heard so many mixed reviews. Don't have anywhere to try one either.

10. The controls are a tad non-intuitive. If you do get to try one, I suggest starting with everything at 12 o'clock.

11. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    So how does the Aphex truly compare? Does it color tone in a good way?

12. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I hated the Aphex Bass Exciter. It's entirely different than a Submarine or a Fat Boost. It seemed to make smaller amps sound bigger but it didn't do much for me on larger amps. I didn't keep mine for very long.

13. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    And how about the LPB-1? I mean really... are these all that different? Would a new LPB-1 for $40 be just as good?

14. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    Yes. No.

You seem to be jumping from choice to choice. What is you goal and budget?

15. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Yeah. I have access to a used Fatboost v1 and of course can pick up a new LNB-1 at Guitar Center. Thus the reason for the comparison there.

My goal is this. I'm looking for a clear boost to drive a harder signal to the board in the venues I play. One venue in particular really needs a hotter signal to fill out the less than adequate sound environment. I've been able to test the Fatboost in said venue and am quite pleased.

I'm looking to spend no more than $80 hopefully. So if the LNB-1 will produce the same kind of tone and boost for less I'm keen on that.

16. CyberSnyder

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    You like the FatBoost, it's $60 and if you're tired of it you can flip it for what you paid if not more. I'd go with that. I'm leery of pedals that retail for less than $40 new. Pull out the retail markup and all the profit along the way and you have a pedal that was built for $7. Certainly there are compromises.

17. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I have a Submarine on the way. I'll compare it to the Fatboost v1.

18. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    The LPB-1 (linear power boost) is just that - it boosts your signal in a linear fashion. It does not add or subtract any tonalities. It is not an enhancer. The Submarine and VT Bass and Fat Boost alter your signal in a euphoneous way.

19. scubaduba

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    Interesting. I've always thought of the Fatboost as a pretty clean boost. The LPB can get pretty "hissy" too if you turn the volume up past noon.

20. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    You may be right, but from what I've heard and read, one can get some "grit" with the FB.

The LPB hiss may not come from the unit itself- IOW, it may be raising the noise floor of your original signal. Or, it may just be a noisy pedal:D