1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fulltone OCD v4 SOUNDCLIPS

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Sep 18, 2008.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I just got this today, I've been playing around with it for a few minutes and I have a few soundclips you might like to hear. To be honest I'm not particularly impressed with the way they turned out, to me they're kind of, eh, but you might like them. I do like the way the OCD sounds through my rig, though. For all of these clips the OCD is being powered with 18 volts for increased headroom and clarity and I'm using a Gibson SG Bass only the bridge pickup, which doesn't have the most bottom on it's own so some of the low end you might think is "lost" wasn't even there to begin with. However, on lower gain settings I do notice quite a drop in low end with the OCD v4 (the fourth version to my understanding has some mods to make it have less bass) whereas there is much better bottom retention on the higher gain settings. I'm not ready to make any more broad statements about the OCD's retention of low end, I really need to use it in a band setting to really get the feel of it. Anyways, enough chit chat, here's the first clip SG Bass bridge humbucker only gain maxed on the OCD with the tone at less than 12 o'clock:

http://media.putfile.com/SGOCDMax

The next clip has the same setting except I have rolled back the volume control for the bridge pickup to clean up the pedal some.

http://media.putfile.com/SGOCDMaxRolled

The next clip is the OCD with the drive set at noon. The tone control is still at less than noon and the SG Bass has only the bridge pickup on and it's at full volume:

http://media.putfile.com/SGOCDHalf

And the last clip is the same setting (drive at half) but this time I roll back the volume on the guitar to clean the pedal up some:

http://media.putfile.com/SGOCDHalfRolled

So once again I feel I fail to capture the true rawness, openness, and grittiness of the pedal with the SM57 microphone, but these soundclips should give you some idea of what the OCD is capable of on bass. I'm considering making the OCD a mainstay on my board for some nice dynamic leads (the OCD is a wonderfully dynamic pedal) so if you've got any opinions on these soundclips or on the OCD in general I would certainly appreciate hearing what all of you have to say, positive or negative. :help:

2. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    So nobody has any opinion whatsoever on these soundclips? Good, bad, or ugly I'd like to hear it because I'm thinking about putting this on my board.

3. Sounds really nice if you're looking to play six string :)

- Andrew

4. PunkRocker33133

PunkRocker33133 Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Northern VA
    I really like it, how much do these runs?

5. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    I was under the impression that the OCD was designed for guitar.

It sounds okay on soloed bass with the chords and stuff. I am not so sure it would sound good on bass in a band situation.

6. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I have to say Mark, it sounds very guitar like. If you hadn't said it was a bass in the line, I'd not have guessed that hearing them cold. It sounds good though, if that is what you are looking for.

7. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Hahaha! Yeah, never mind that that's just the way I play my bass. And for the record I do not know how to play guitar.

But you bring up a good point. I don't think I'd recommend this pedal for hammering out traditional bass lines from the experience I've had with it so far today. There's a lot of pedals out there that can give you a good crunch and grit and be a little more bottom friendly, not that the bottom doesn't get huge with the OCD cranked, but I can't see myself using that amount of gain while not playing a lead part. But a good distorted bass lead tone is hard to find (just look at all those jokers on youtube). If you're into that, the OCD might be worth looking into for you.

8. OhThePeacock

OhThePeacock

Sep 15, 2007
    Wausau, WI
    Yeah, I bet that thing would sound great on a guitar. Sounds good on bass too if that's the kind of sound you want.

9. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    didn't listen to these clips(hate putfile) but my experience with ocd (v2) is that it is fantastic on a passive bass, even better mixed with a clean signal. haven't had one around since switching to active basses.

on guitar there isn't much i like better for moderate to higher gain tones.

it has a clarity and harmonic structure that is often lacking in higher gain boxes.

10. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Alright, thank you everybody for your input, I really, really appreciate it.

So the consensus seems to be that the OCD sounds fine for my style of playing. That's really great, but of course I would like something spectacular for my style. So we'll see what I buy next! Hopefully some more soundclips down the road!

But, if I get the chance, I will try to do some more traditional style bass playing through the OCD, and show everybody how it is and hopefully find out for myself what you all think about it. I'll try to do more clips but I can't guarantee that they will happen tommorow. We'll see.

But thanks again to everyone who has replied to this thread and I hope to give you all something more interesting to check out in the near future.

Rock on!
    Mark

11. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Mark - I know the Box of Rock and OCD and both designed to sound very amp-like, with that amp being a vintage Marshall. What separates the two (besides the boost function and knob layout)?

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Thanks for doing the clips for us :)

13. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    No problem! I like to do clips for myself so I can critique my own tone but I figure some people here might appreciate them too.

As far as what separates the OCD and the Box of Rock, I would say the Box of Rock has less distortion available but is much more bottom friendly, and I would definitely recommend the Box of Rock over the OCD for hammering out traditional style bass lines, unless you're going for a very high gain sound. One thing to note is that both of these pedals are very dynamic, and they produce far more distortion with my SG Bass and it's humbuckers than with my Jazz Bass and it's single coils. There is about half as much distortion available with my Jazz Bass vs. my SG Bass, it's a huge difference.

One other thing I noticed is that while both pedals are very transparent, the Box of Rock seems to add a little bit of "tubeyness" to the sound, whereas the OCD doesn't sound like an amp; more like just the distortion you would get out of the amp, if that makes any sense. So I guess you could say that the OCD is more transparent while the Box of Rock adds a little bit of tube like color to the sound.

14. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Here are a couple of samples done with a Jazz Bass in dropped D tuning which might be more the sound you guys would be expecting. It's a nice crunchy distortion. I have the gain cranked on the OCD because that's what you have to do to retain any bottom with the pedal.

http://media.putfile.com/JazzOCDMaxed

And another sample with a different riff in dropped D but this time with the volume rolled back a little courtesy of a Ernie Ball Passive Jr. to get a slightly cleaner sound out of the pedal:

http://media.putfile.com/JazzOCDMaxedRolled

So anyways I'd be curious to see what you guys think of the sound of the OCD for that application. I hadn't really thought of using it as a typical bass distortion but it has a cool sound, so we'll see. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

15. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    That sounds awesome! That's a great bass distortion tone, very crunchy and organic, and doesn't get fizzy. On an unrelated side note, I thought you said you thought distortion on bass was garbage?

16. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Hahaha! Yeah I probably did say that. It is true that I'm not fond of a lot of distorted bass sounds (overdriven sounds are a different story of course). But this tone is growing on me, it is pretty cool, the things I like about it are the organic-ness and crunchiness you mentioned, as well as the stunning clarity! I'm running the OCD at 18 volts for maximum clarity and the clarity really impresses me with the OCD.

As of this moment I have both the Box of Rock and the OCD on my board, and I am using the Box of Rock for strictly overdriven sounds, very lighter, but I am using the OCD for, yes, distorted sounds. With the SG Bass I find I need both pedals to get the different levels of gain, but with the Jazz Bass as long as I've got the Ernie Ball Volume pedal on there to clean things up I can probably get away with using just the OCD for everything... still need to try it out in a full band setting though. So, we'll see.

17. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Haha I guess things can change when you get a pedal like this. I can't stop listening to the soundclip of the Jazz with the OCD cranked. Cool application of the volume pedal, does it sound pretty much like rolling back the volume knob on your bass?

18. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I have my Jazz Bass wired with a volume knob for each pickup and just a master tone control (hence my need for a volume pedal), but yes, the volume pedal is exactly like rolling down a master volume knob on your bass, that's really all a volume pedal is is a master volume control.

19. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I don't mean to be pushy, but if anyone else has any opinion of any kind on those two Jazz Bass soundclips I did, I'd love to hear it.

20. dubsymmetry

dubsymmetry

Mar 13, 2008
    nice clips!

with my basses (and rig of course) the OCD sounds a little different, I also like it to use with the switch on low peak & drive around 1-3 o┬┤clock.

I think of it as boost, tone shaping (more mids) & drive (whatever you want to call it, OD or dist. already) with the flip of one switch.