1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fulltone OCD vs Darkglass Vintage Ultra

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matteometropolis, Jul 15, 2018.

1. Ocd

13 vote(s)
    31.7%
  2. Vintage ultra

28 vote(s)
    68.3%
  1. Matteometropolis

Matteometropolis

Sep 21, 2014
    Hi there. I’ve been using the ocd to push my b3k, which is my always on od, and I definitely like the ocd but I feel like I’m loosing a bit of low end and I’d like to some more midrange out of it.

I have a good deal on a Vintage Ultra, did anyone have the chance to A/B them? Thank you

2. Which version OCD? How heavy?
    The OCD and Vintage Ultra don't sound the same at all.
    You can definitely keep your low end intact with the VU though.

I used the Joyo Ultimate Drive for a while but it always made me nervous about the subs.
    Soundman said it sounded great
    With the Joyo, I would run the Gain down at around 7:00-8:00, Switch set to Low, Tone and Level at 12:00.
    With the Switch set to High, I would run the gain lower.
    Adds crunch but any higher and it cuts subs

About the losing low end thing....Really scope it out. Plug in direct and listen through studio monitors if you can.
    I tested mine at low volume with a Subwoofer and found the spot where the Gain starts to cut Subs.

Bass overdrive generally means more midrange. That can come off to your ears as less low end.
    Getting something that actually translates in a mix can get frustrating.

Hence the dUg :)
    Just distorting highs.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
    Fuzzbass and K-2 like this.
  3. Matteometropolis

Matteometropolis

Sep 21, 2014
    I have the v4, set with gain at 12:00 and tone at 10:00/11:00, depending on the situation. It helps cutting through a bit but I was wondering if the eq section and the drive voicing itself on the vintage ultra could help getting even more midrange, probably around 500hz-1.5khz.

4. Yes it definitely will. Having the blend control is a huge advantage plus the Grunt and Attack switches

Fuzzbass and Matteometropolis like this.
  5. Matteometropolis

Matteometropolis

Sep 21, 2014
    Thanks a lot

6. keatz

keatz

Jan 19, 2011
    Yes it will be easier to keep more low end but they sound nothing alike. Vmt is alot smoother and even though it's called a vintage it still has its own moderny voice that you cant get rid of. If you want a more natural feel and like that little edge that the ocd gives, you will not be happy with the vmt. I created a pedal with a friend that is just starting up his pedal building business. Its a modified ocd circuit with the original volume gain and tone with added blend, 9/18v switch, pre gain boost, pre gain bass and a saturation filter. It is perfect and gets out all the ocd tones and more. IMG_20180618_222117.jpg

leonard and JustSomeDude like this.
  7. Beheroth

Beheroth

Aug 26, 2016
    dunwich ODB

Last edited: Jul 16, 2018
    Maxfenderbass likes this.
  8. GMC

GMC

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    If you want both then save and buy both...otherwise you are comparing apples to oranges

9. SerratedBass

SerratedBass

Nov 4, 2010
    UK
    Endorsing Artist: Warwick Bass Guitars,
    Try out the Cog Effects Knightfall 66. It's based on the OCD but has a clean blend built in. It also has 2 channels which I find useful. A lot cheaper than the DG too.

Zon master likes this.
  10. Zon master

Zon master

May 10, 2017
    +1 on the Knightfall 66

11. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    If low-end loss is a concern, a blender pedal should resolve that. other than that, the darkglass vintage deluxe would be good if you want something like a preamp and a distortion pedal. if preamp isn't what you're looking for, check out either the vintage microtubes or the vintage deluxe. they both cost less then the vintage ultra and provides warm overdriven sounds. I own a vintage microtubes myself and I'm very satisfied with it. I plan to get an alpha omnicron next to go with my vintage microtubes. that or maybe the ehx hot wax. speaking of that pedal, the hot wax is a pretty good overdrive pedal for bass. it has 2 overdrive circuits based on their hot tubes overdrive and crayon overdrive pedal. both have their own sound and has a blend control as well as a bass and treble control so you can create a killer overdriven bass sound without obliterating lows. it's much more affordable than the darkglass pedals and provides great drives sounds for bass.

zapped777 and BurtMacklinFBI like this.
  12. leonard

leonard

Jul 31, 2001
    Yurop
    I use my OCD with an Xotic XBlender. OCD is a really nice pedal but to me it's useless for bass without blend.

Tritone and ThinCrappyTone like this.
  13. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Guest

Oct 1, 2011
    OCD is my favorite drive pedal ever for guitar. But I don’t love it on bass due to low end loss.

I have heard that using it with a blender or modding it to incorporate a clean blend solves that issue and makes it way more useful for bass.

14. I chose OCD, but actual OCD rather than the pedal.

That's how I am with most distortion pedals though...

Am I losing low end?

Where's the tonal focus??

Is the battery dying (or is the power supply making noise)???

Why did this thing sound great at yesterday's gig, but sounds like a box of hammers falling down the stairs today????

Enough!!! i'm going back to work now...

15. Persoanlly I would pick an OCD Bass Friendly variant. Ala the Dunwich ODB due to its 2-band EQ. Or just get a Damnation MBD-1:D

cataract, JulienP. and Fuzzbass like this.
  16. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Fulltone is a trash company IMO
    (Not going to get into specifics- Google is your friend)
    But the OCD is a good circuit that many have made leaps & bounds better.
    The Dunwich ODB is one of the best sounding lil pieces of gear I’ve ever played through.

17. Matteometropolis

Matteometropolis

Sep 21, 2014
    Hope to find a Dunwich OBD then, I really like the OCD so I’d rather stick with someting similar

cataract likes this.
  18. bass08053

bass08053 Supporting Member

May 8, 2008
    New Jersey
    Old thread, but I would pick the Ultra. If you can find one of the early OCD pedals (v1) they have a ton of bass the later versions don’t. Might be a neat experiment

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 18, 2021