Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

fulltone ocd

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jackson0321, Feb 4, 2005.

1. jackson0321

jackson0321

Apr 4, 2001
    Houston, TX
    anybody tried one or thinking about this pedal for bass

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    of course I'm thinking about it :)
    Just waiting for another batch to ship...

3. mgmadian

mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I have no info other than what I read on H-C and on Fulltone's website, but it seems that this was really designed around some specific guitar applications... so Mike Fuller probably wasn't thinking 'bass' at all during the course of designing it. May still be perfectly fine for getting cool bass sounds, but I'm guessing that the Bassdrive will end up being better-suited for bass... just a hunch.

4. Did anyone else had some playtime with an OCD yet?

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, really not tailored for bass frequency ranges at all

6. Thanks David. That's what I needed to know! :)
    I'll stay with my (imho really excellent) Fat-Boost.

7. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

My guitar playing son has an OCD - which is an excellent guitar pedal BTW. I'll try to snag it from him and see how it does with bass. The "Tone" knob is the most important control from what I've seen.

8. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    i'm resurrecting this thread. tried an ocd yesterday with a fender usa jazz into a GK2001RB and it KILLS! i didnt notice any loss of low end, and it had a great range of useable drive.

i personally never cared for the bassdrive (had the guitar version too) and sold them both. bassdrive was just too mushy/loose sounding for me; don't know if it matters, but it was one of the very first versions. when i got back to get it, i'll try and do a side by side as they have a newer one in stock.

anyway, the OCD kills - it was hard to get a bad sound out of it. it sounds extremely natural, but also tighter and more focused than the bassdrive. as always, YMMV, but i put it as a must have - add it to your list!

JR

9. ihateusernames

ihateusernames

Jun 26, 2006
    I've yet to try a bassdrive. I will agree 100% with your comments on the OCD. This is one of the best overdrives I've played through or heard - on guitar or bass. It really is easy to get good sounds from and works well on its own, or with other overdrives to set various gain structures. Very versatile pedal.

10. The BurgerMeister

The BurgerMeister musician. Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    i've got one of these, too. it rocks, for sure! like the others said, it's pretty hard to get a bad sound out of it. in my opinion, it sounds amazing on guitar and good on bass. i still want to try the bassdrive and the hematoma (among other bass ODs).

i had the OCD on my board, but i took it off. i just didn't use it enough. it may find its way back on there, though.... very soon.....

11. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    resurrected again!

the OCD found its way back on my board, like i thought it would... and i recorded a clip! (mind, the OCD is in the loop of my BargeConcepts VFB2... so there's a smidgeon of clean tone blended into it... but hopefully the clip gives you peeps an idea of the OCD!)

settings are: volume 9:00, Drive 4:30 (nearly dimed), Tone 8:00, mode = "LP"

(OCD)

12. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    That's pretty likeable. Definitely a usable tone.

13. Templar

Templar Supporting Member

Interesting. I thought about an OCD last week whilst in the chaos of buying a buttload of OD pedals to try.

Decided against it. Did'nt care much for the Bassdrive I had. Now I see I'll have to taste one, after all.

The quest never ends, does it.

14. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

nope! :D

15. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't like the Bassdrive. LOVE the OCD! Give er a whirl!

JR

16. Zeemno

Zeemno

Feb 15, 2006
    Warsaw, Poland
    I can't help the feeling, but I am confused after hearing this clip. Maybe even a bit disappointed.

Did you roll of the tone? Is your bass a bit treble-shy? Maybe it isn't fresh strings?

Because: FWIR, I expected the OCD to have an open high range. Due to a different circuit topology (not a TS clone), not to have a treble roll off. I didn't hear any big difference... (through old computer speakers, mind that)

It still a very good sound. Just didn't expect it to sound like many other top notch overdrive pedals that you can find around.

Please tell me if I am very wrong! I'd like to be! :)

Thanks again for your clips, jetpackbassist!

17. Sorry to answer for someone else (let me know if I'm stepping on your toes), but I have an OCD and the highs really can get out of control. It seems to me that he likely rolled off quite a bit (likely on the OCD itself). I also have a Barber Burn Unit EQ, and I think I like the sound of it better than the OCD, although the OCD is nice. I find it sounds GREAT with an EH Tube Zipper in front of it.

18. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA

hey, no problem!

i actually had the tone knob on the OCD almost all the way off. i like the sound of it like that (for solo, at least... band-setting's different, of course). but it's got lots of highs, for sure! i'll have to record some more clips with the tone at different positions, to give an idea.

check back soon!

:bassist:

19. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    the settings are the same as in the original clip, except where noted. the volume knob was turned down a bit for all of the "HP" clips (to prevent clipping). and as before, there is an iota of clean tone blended in, courtesy of the fine folks at BargeConcepts and their wonderful VFB2. enjoy!

(OCDtone1) tone knob at 10:00

(OCDtone2) tone knob at 12:00

(OCDtone3) tone knob at 3:00

(OCDtone4) tone knob at 5:00 (dimed)

(OCDtone5HP) tone knob at 8:30 (almost all the was down, as in original clip), "HP" mode

(OCDtone6HP) tone knob at 10:00, "HP" mode

(OCDtone7HP) tone knob at 12:00, "HP" mode

(OCDtone8HP) tone knob at 3:00, "HP" mode

(OCDtone9HP) tone knob at 5:00 (dimed), "HP" mode

BTW, the bass is an early 70s jazz (passive, of course) with Rotosound nickleplatedsteel 45-105 Swingbass strings (nearly dead), all controls all the way up.

i'm recording into GarageBand using a Lightpipe 1/4"-to-USB cable.

i realized right when i finished the last clip that i should've probably kept it consistent and played the same riff every time... too late, oh well. i hope these clips will satisfy. if not, let me know... and i'll think about redoing them. ;)

but for now, dig it. oh, and: [​IMG]

20. The BurgerMeister

Apr 13, 2006
    Big Bear, CA
    that bad, huh?

:(