1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fulltone Octafuzz Octavia Soundclips

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Mark Olson, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    So here's a quick clip of another one of my new pedals, the Fulltone Octafuzz.

In this clip I AM USING THE FUZZ MODE. YOU DON'T HEAR AN OCTAVE BECAUSE YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO IN THE FUZZ MODE. If you ask me why you can't hear the octave I WILL RIDICULE YOU.

Here is the octafuzz after the Wilson Freaker wah, which I engage partway through the clip. The fuzz and wah seem to get along decent I think. Check it out:

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page_songInfo.cfm?bandID=889952&songID=8996603

That is with the fuzz (boost) at minimum. Volume is at 3 o'clock to boost things into some compression. Octave fuzz pedals tend to sound incredibly better through a compressed tube amp, so keep that in mind kids. More clips to come.

2. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
  3. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I just got back from playing and I may be trading the Octafuzz for my brother's Smitty Fuzz, that thing just sounds awesome with my Mustang Bass, which I played tonight. It just captures the "snap" of my strings and fuzzizes it in a way that's very cool.

4. Oh god that is some mighty fuzz!
    Could this have an equal result on a solid state amp?
    And could a swollen pickle get close to this tone ?

:bassist:

5. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    A Swollen Pickle doesn't sound anything like an Octavia, at all.

And octavias suck with solid state amps. I mean just aren't good at all with them.

6. That is some useful info.
    I just love the break-up of the fuzz you were playing.
    Sadly i guess allot of this is due to the tube amp, something i won't have in a longlong time :)

7. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I wouldn't say it's so much due to the tube amp as it is that a solid state amp crapifies that breakup by misrepresenting it. But that's my interpretation.

8. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    I feel I should explain my last statement some more.

The proper representation for a *musical* instrument is a nice *musical* representation. Hi fi is the antithesis of musical.

By more musical representation I mean the more ear-pleasing limited bandwidth response of lower fi gear. It's science, certain frequency ranges are more audible and more pleasing to the human ear, that's why an electric guitar through a tube amp sounds so pleasing, and it's why all these distortion pedals can get harsh and fizzy through more hi fi gear.

It's not a difference just anyone is qualified to notice however, which I only say because I've met so many people who couldn't be considered so! Personally I don't see why just anybody shouldn't be able to hear it, but a lot of people don't, that much is clear.