1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fulltone Overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MoeTown1986, Aug 23, 2012.

1. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    So, I'm looking into a new overdrive. The best sounding one for what I'm lookin for seems to be the Fulltone bass driver. I also want a boost channel which can be used clean or dirty, which the Fulltone has. Unfortunately, they discontinued the bass driver and only super expensive ones are available on eBay! :-( I see they make a full drive 2 now for guitar and I know a lot of guitar pedals work just fine on bass, so I was wondering if anyone has a bass driver, full drive 2, or a pedal that sounds like these with a dirt and boost channel?

Thanks!

2. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I have the Bass Drive and the range of sounds make it worth the weighty price.

Amazed that FullTone stopped making these.

3. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Were you lucky enough to get one during production? What did they cost new?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There are lots of similar products out there, no need to get hung up on the Fulltone. Examples include the Homebrew Hematoma and the Tronographic Rusty Box, but again there are plenty of others to choose from.

5. I have the Fulltone BassDrive Mosfet and the boost cannot be used clean or dirty, it only works when the OD is engaged, and it absolutely makes the signal much dirtier, even at very low settings.

6. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I did look into the Hematoma, just couldn't find a good sound clip! Never heard of the rusty box. I'll look into that one. Thanks!

7. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Ahhh! See I didn't know that. I saw the full tone 2 had a clean boost. Figured the bass drive did as well. Thanks!!

8. There is a thread where a pretty simple mod to the guitar fulltone drive can be modded to be identical to the original bass drive, the pre-mosfet one. Try hacking through the search function to see if you can turn that thread up, that could be what you're looking for.

But really, check out the Rusty Box. It is newer tech and gets rave reviews from almost everyone.

9. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Sweet! Thanks man!

10. BawanaRik

BawanaRik

Mar 6, 2012
    New Jersey
    I got it on sale and I seem to recall it costing $150.

This pedal does a thing where you're low on the gain and it's not even really dirt. It's just a "tubey" sound.

Man you're giving me a tone jones. I better get out before I spend again!

11. TussinBot.

TussinBot.

Aug 21, 2010
    Burbank, Ca
    From my experience with the fulltone bass driver - it is not worth the current asking price. I got mine a year or two back for $85 and quickly sold it. There are so many other overdrives you can find that will do the sound as well if not better, while retaining the bass signal better for cheaper. I have settled on the way huge green rhino for my full on overdrive. And swear by the barber ltd sr for my low gain OD - doesn't get too much love around here anymore since it isn't the new kid on the block but it does its job well. I would also recommend looking into the hematoma - never picked one up though I wish I had - theres a thread on here comparing the blueberry, hematoma, and fulltone bass drive with some decent clips if you do a search. If you're on the cheap I'd look into a Polish love which you can also find good sound clips of. Anyway, if you can find the bass drive for a good price it might be worth it to just snag it up and if you don't like it, sell it. Atleast you will have a better idea of what you like and don't like, plus you may love it.

12. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Sweet!! Thanks for the insight my dude!

13. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i built a bassdrive mosfet clone and it does a clean boost really well if you run it in the 'CompCut' mode. i think it's a very nice OD for bass. even though it's no longer in production, if you change four capacitors in the guitar version (the fulldrive), it can become bassdrive.

here's a pic of my clone:

BassDrive-mosfet-01.

that said, i think that a wampler euphoria (formerly known as ecstasy) is a better, more transparent sounding OD.

and +1 one of the Barber LTD silver. IMO, it's also a great sounding OD for bass.

Bassmike62 likes this.
  14. I've been looking at the Mooer Hustle pedal (micro-sized), supposed to be a clone of these. Anyone had any experience with this one?

I'd really like a fuzz/OD that doesn't throw out the bass/low end. Be nice if it responded to how hard or soft you dig in. Anyone knoe if the Fulltone and the clones available fall in this area?

(Sorry to thread-hijack!)

15. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    from the video clips, IMO, the Mooer hustle doesn't sound anything like the bassdrive.

a bassdrive is basically a highly modifed & tweaked tube screamer, but IME, after all those mods, it doesn't sound anything like a tube screamer (i'm not wild about a TS on bass anyway. a bassdrive retains the low end, but it definitely has a character and tone of it's own. it's fairly responsive to your playing, but i think that there are a ton of pedals that are alot better at it.

16. Thanks, I hear you. They may not be "reponsive" to attack, but I have been researching most if the night, listening to varioud clips- I am definitely looking for OD over.a fuzz (fuzz is fun, but it's a little bit too dark/drudgy for what I am playing these days). OD has the personality I'm looking for. I'm going to grab a JHS Low Drive or Mad Prof Blueberry - now I just have to decide which.

17. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i have a blueberry, and it think that it's pretty darn good, but IMO, a cochrane 'timmy', a wampler 'euphoria' and a creative labs 'holy fire' all sound more like your bass and amp only enable you to dial them in from no distortion, to a sweet spot of slight OD, and to even a heavy tranparent overdrive.

18. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    +1 on the Homebrew Hematoma. The boost is independant from the distortion which is really nice. The boost offers a mild amount of compression which is perfect.

Also note that it's hard to talk about a Fulltone Bass Drive in general. The different versions (early, late, Mosfet or pre-Mosfet) have different tones. They go from warm and woolly to more edgy and aggressive/less bassy, more mid oriented for the later Mosfet models. All that being said, it's a great pedal and its ability to fit in the mix with a band is great. Some people will contest this but it's one of the most frequently encountered pedal on pro pedal boards.

19. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Just a plug that I still love mine -- primarily for the compcut mode. I still haven't found a substitute.

20. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Does anyone know where to find a good hematoma video? The only one I see on YouTube really sounds bad IMO. Anyone have sound clips?