Fulltone vs Hao

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Creep, Jul 28, 2004.

1. Creep

Mar 12, 2004
    OK Talkbassers I'm looking for a distortion pedal that will give me a mean distortion sound (not so much fuzzy) and it seems like I've come down to either the Fulltone Bass Driver or the Hao Rust Ride...any input or suggestions?
  2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    hmmmm. The Fulltone can definitely do a meaner distortion than the Hao. That being said, there are distortion pedals which will do something meaner than both of those.
  3. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    The Hao emulates the sound of an overdriven amp. Probably not what you are looking for.

Maybe try more generic pedals like a Boss OD3 or a ProCo Rat before jumping straight into the "boutique" pedals. Both the OD3 and ProCo Rat sound pretty mean and are relatively cheap, though the OD3 also sounds like pure garbage to me.

I could see myself picking a modded Rat before to long, for heavy distortion sounds.
  4. prismacolor2

Nov 6, 2003
    I tried the HAO and I found it to be harsh and brittle. The Bassdrive can go from subtle overdrive (a little warm hair or texture) to extreme overdrive without sounding harsh or brittle. I know that opinions are subjective and I still don't understand the sound you're seeking. What do you mean by "meaner"? maybe what I consider to be harsh or brittle is what you're looking for (mean). I would also try as many as you can (low and high price) because that's the only way you'll know for sure if you like something. It took me a while to learn the many parameters of my Bassdrive and get the most from it. Really explore and read the manuals if you can to truly understand them before you buy. Otherwise a store test won't do a complex pedal justice.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Here is a good, non-brittle setting.

Rustride on the Normal Setting, Blend toward neck, Roll off tone. The result makes my Corvette sound like a P bass through an overdriven SVT.

Also if a brittle sound is what you (original poster) want, the OD3 excels at it.
  6. mgmadian

Feb 4, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I second this... with the caveat that I tried the Hao in a music store only briefly (couldn't find a sound I liked after a few minutes of noodling with it, so gave up on it). I
    perceived the Fulltone (which I use in my board but didn't have with me at the same time) as a fuller-sounding unit (pun intended...)