1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fully Carved 3/4 size Chinese Double Bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Matt Burri, Jan 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello all,

I'm looking to sell my 3/4 sized Chinese bass that I bought from a local shop in 2008. I've really played the snot out of this thing, as I used it from my senior year of high school until my last year of college, and am only letting it go to help fund an upgrade. It is fully carved, has an ebony fingerboard (and tailpiece, I believe), carbon fiber endpin, bridge has adjustor wheels, and came with really excellent tuning gears. It is made by "Art Chinois" and its model number is AC-1000.

A little less than a year ago, luthier Patrick McCarthy took a look at this bass and planed the fingerboard, re-cut the bridge, and sanded the bridge feet to better fit the top. Because of this, the bass responds very quickly under the bow and is easy to play with the left hand. Because of Pat's great work and the last five years I have spend playing this bass extensively, this bass definitely plays and sounds better than most other basses in this price range.

Any and all repair work has been done in a timely fashion, so this bass is well maintained and in full working order. It has quite a few scuff marks and some rosin buildup, but nothing too severe. If you are a stickler, you might want to get it revarnished, so I have taken the price down a bit considering any refinishing you would like to get done.

All things considered, I'd like to get around 4800 for it. If you are interested, please send me a private message or an email. My email address is mattburri@gmail.com

I live in downtown San Jose, so if you are interested in trying this bass out, I'd prefer to meet at the university, but I would be willing to do some travel for any serious inquiries. For payment, I would like money order or cashiers check.

Thank you! Let me know if you have any questions. In a few minutes I will try to get some pictures posted.

2. lorianb

lorianb

Apr 10, 2011
    Ottawa
    Very nice - good luck.

ps - love the zebra-stripped pillow

3. bherman

bherman Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Grand Junction, CO
    FWIW bump, I have had an Art Chinois bass for the past few years - had it totally reworked by Bob Ross here in Denver (new bridge, fingerboard planed, new end pin, etc) and he was very complementary of their basses. Good value, especially once set up properly.

Good luck with the sale!

4. Bump! This one is definitely set up properly. Very easy to play.

5. Ground hog's day bump! hah

By the way, I forgot to mention that the fingerboard on this one goes way up there. It goes past the D harmonic for those of you who like closing those high notes for Bottesini.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.