1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Fun 2 hr project: Aged nitro burst j bass pickguard...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cstar, Jan 22, 2012.

1. cstar

cstar

Dec 21, 2011
    Felt inspired yesterday and made this j bass pickguard out of a wrecked '40's Kay/Old Kraftsman acoustic guitar I found in an abandoned building... no pics of the guitar unfortunately, but it was messed. Body was in multiple pieces, warped to heck, many frets of the neck broken/missing, etc...

I really like the aged nitro finish (complete with several scratched signatures, words, etc), and I'm very proud of this guard as it was my first attempt at making a pickguard.

It is 3 ply birch (from the back of the guitar;) ) and I used only a really sharp pair of scissors, a box cutter, and some 100 grit sand paper to make it. 2 hours later, here is what I have.

Again, I'm pretty happy for a first try. The shape fits a j body really nice. I can see this on a relic'd j bass, for sure! Obviously I need to rout for the pickup, but I am waiting on that as I don't have a router and want to make sure it's perfect when I do it...

I will also wait to drill pickguard screw holes 'till I find a bass for this guard.

Anyway, enough yapping. Let me know what you think of it! I'd really like to know. I think I may try to make a few more out of the wood I have left...

(P.S. I am 17 and am an aspiring luthier!!)

288w00o.
    23rjts4.

2. Personally... That looks AWESOME! I'd totally by one. GREAT JOB!

3. That would look great on a relic'd Olympic White J-Bass. Nice work.
    One little snag though,how thick is it? The thickness when mounted against the body may be an issue. Maybe you could bevel the edges of it and relic the newly beveled edges to blend in with the rest of the 'guard. Just my 2 pennies.

4. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    Almost an optical illusion , relic pickguard on a clean body for us is a brain teaser, very cool.

I'm always on the look-out for makeshift P/G material , good job!