1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

FUN! Given my situation, which cabinet...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eminor3rd, Mar 18, 2008.

1. Schroeder 410L

5 vote(s)
    3.9%
  2. Schroeder 21012L

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. Epifani UL410(II)

28 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. Epifani UL310(II)

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  5. Eden D410XST-Neo

18 vote(s)
    14.0%
  6. Bergantino AE410

17 vote(s)
    13.2%
  7. Genz Benz NEOX-212T

18 vote(s)
    14.0%
  8. Glockenklang TAKE FIVE

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. Avatar B410 Neo

7 vote(s)
    5.4%
  10. Markbass Standard 104HF

4 vote(s)
    3.1%
  11. GK Neo212

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  12. Carrots NEO-410XT Pro Line Custom

8 vote(s)
    6.2%
  1. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd BLAAAAARRGGHH!!

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    This should be fun! Here's the situation:

I play an Eden WT550 through an SWR Goliath III. I very much like the tones that I get from this rig. There are, however, three things I'd change about my Goliath if I could. They are, in order of importance:

1. I would like it to be 4 ohms, not 8.
    2. I would like for it to be lighter (it's about 90 lbs.)
    3. I would like for it to have a touch more low end presence.

Since there's no such thing as a NEOliath, I'm beginning to think I'm going to have to jump ship to satisfy all three of my desires.

I would like to maintain the upper-midrange clarity and punch that I get from my SWR. I also tend to prefer, fairly strongly, 10" drivers, although I'm always open to good arguments for otherwise. The primary setting that this rig will be used in is a medium-volume indie rock band, usually playing for 50-100 people. While I don't want to say I have a price range since I don't believe it's worth making a purchase unless I'm totally satisfied, price is a selling point since I'm relatively poor and the resale value of my Goliath seems to be low at the moment.

I'm always open to suggestions other than listed on the poll. Thanks for the input!

2. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    So far everyone votes carrots.

Any of those cabs will be fine. It's all up to you.

3. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Well, like I said, I'd like to find something with a good clear upper-imdrange presence, but more low-low than the Goliath. All those cabs don't sound the same, do they? :eyebrow:

4. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    No, they don't all sound the same, but regardless of what you're looking for, most people are going to vote for their favorite.

5. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    The avatar neo 410 is capable of putting out tons of low end. It will do it cleaner,and a lot cheaper than any of the boutique cabinets.Read the Bass Player magazine reviews on the Avatar cabs.They weren't lying!

6. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Thanks for the input. I've heard mixed on Avatar, does it have that upper-mid punch I'm looking for?

7. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    I'm a recent Epifani convert, so I voted 410, but I also like the Schroeder 21012L, which I would have gotten if the deal was right. I'm also all about the mid range punch, and like a solid bottom too, who don't. Seems like any of the cabs you listed would be an upgrade from what you've got. Best of luck.

8. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Why?

Alex

9. skin

skin

Jun 22, 2003
    Baton Rouge, LA USA
    Bill Fitzmaurice DR250

10. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    I'd put my money on a UL410... because I did and I'm extremely happy with this cabinet.

11. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    Because it will function as a standalone. And if, for some reason, I do want to add another cabinet at some point, I now have a head that is two ohm capable, which I didn't when I got the 8 ohm SWR.

Thanks for the input guys, so far the Epifani seems to be the clear preference. From what I've read on here about the Epifani, though, I get the impression that the upper-mids are more organic sounding than, say and SWR or Eden XLT, where the mids are more "in your face." Am I wrong in my impression?

12. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    So you'd consider the Schroeder preferable to the Epifani? Have you had the chance to test the 21012L against the 410L? Thanks

13. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    But if the 8 ohm cab is already loud enough then there's no advantage. And with most cabs even if the amp is can only deliver a fraction of the cabs rated power, the cab can't actually handle any more because the speakers don't have enough excursion, so switching to a lower impedance model to get more power is futile.

The weight reason is a good one though.

Alex

14. I was in your same position 6 or 7 years ago. I dug my Goliath III, but just too heavy, and I was moving to lower powered mono block heads where the 4ohm impedance can make a meaningful difference when going from 300 to 500 watts into a cab that can easily handle the 500 without compression.

At that time, I moved to an Epifani410UL (I) 4ohm cab... more low end than the GIII, a similar but smoother sparkly up top, and 57 pounds. It was a very nice transition, and I believe you would be quite happy with the 4ohm 410UL (II) also... again, in the same 'modern, wide' tone as the GIII, but with more oomph down low, plenty of 'Marcus sparkle' if you want it, and the combination of what seems like a touch higher SPL along with the lower impedance is noticable to me.

15. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    No, not against the 410, but the UL212.

16. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I guess it's a headroom thing. Also, I;ve always been under the impression that everything sounds better if you can push your cabinets closer to their limit.

But, the impedance thing alone wouldn't warrant another purchase, it's just a part of a few reasons I'd like to make a move.

17. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    That sounds perfect. I will now have to consider the Epifani as my top candidate at this point. Have you had experience with Schroeder? How do they match up sonically?

18. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    I know it wasn't in the choices but the Uber410 is a rear butt kicker

19. Eminor3rd

Feb 10, 2008
    NYC
    I've heard that; I think it's just a bit heavy for what I'm looking for right now. Thanks for the suggestion though!