fun math

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Nov 8, 2003.

1. i think this would be a fun thread for those that enjoy this type of thing

so post any interesting math problems or logic type things you have and let us try to figure them out, ill start!

what number exceeds its square by the greatest amount?
  2. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I don't know, but check out my, "this is not real post". That's a cool math riddle too.

Edit: Oops! You already did!
  3. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thats probably what inspired him to make this thread.
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    there are 18 pies in a room with 18 chairs and 18 lights, 18 people enter and 17 of them sit down, the remaining person eats the 18 pies what's the result of this jumbled mess?
  5. Hmm...

18x + 18y + 18z - 17 y - 18 x = y + 18z

So basically there's 1 free chair left and uhhh... 18 lights. What do the lights have to do with it? :D
  6. A guy with a ill

A father has three children, all men. He is about to die soon from old age. His children are 20-30 years old or so. He owns a lot of land. So he decides to give his land to the smartest of his sons. So he gives them all a dollar. And he tells them to all buy something that will fill the 15x20 kitchen. The first son buys 1 dollar worth of straw, and tries to spread it around the kitchen, but it doesn't fill. Then the second son buys cloth, but it doesn't fill. But the third son buys something that does fill the whole kitchen...what was it that he bought?
  7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    A train leaves the station headed west at 40 mph....

Man, I do not miss school.:D I have had enough headache mapping out time signatures for a song tonight. 7/8, 9/8, 7/8, 11/8, 1/4, repeat. Ugh.
  8. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

A light?
  9. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany

but is a³+b³=c³ ?
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  11. 1/2, I think. Unless it's something exotic involving i?
  12. A man is in a canoe which he is propelling through a river at 33 meters a minute. The river is already moving at 99 meters a minute. The man drops his hat in the stream without noticing, and rows for half an hour before the penny drops. He then paddles back against the stream to retrieve his hat. How long in total does he go without his hat?

This is a lot easier than you think it is.
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    yup :cool:
  14. a stink bomb?:p
  15. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    You are in a building with two floors, and no windows. On the bottom floor, there are three light switches. On the top floor, there are three light bulbs. You do not know which switch controls which bulb.

There is only one staircase up to the second floor, and no windows. The second floor is not visible from the first floor.

You can only go up the stairs ONCE- and you have to figure out which bulb each switch controls.
  16. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    turn one on, keep one off, then go to the hardware store, buy a dimmer switch, install it on the third switch and turn it halfway.

easy. :cool:
  17. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    1 + 1 = 1

18. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    AND you can't leave the house. Nice try.
  19. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    1 sperm + 1 egg = 1 Baby.
  20. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    you never said that. :bawl:

ok, turn one on, wait an hour, then turn another on and run upstairs. Two are on, but one of the on ones would be hotter than the other.