Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fun, passive, cheap second bass - any ideas?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, May 4, 2004.

1. I have a Fender Jazz bass, which is good for pretty much everything I play right now. I would like to get a second bass, and will have about $400 to spend. I want something passive, and something that has character. I am also interested in something that is fun to play and gives tones different than the Jazz. Any ideas? I had been looking at the Epiphone Thunderbird because I love the look, but I have never played one and nowhere around where I am sells them.

Thanks!

Matt

2. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    P bass
    MM
    Thunderbird

One of those Ibanez hollowbodies! Ooh, ooh, ooh....That's the one...forget my original choices!

3. Hurley

Hurley

Feb 12, 2004
    Cape Cod, MA
    A P-bass, maybe?

:bassist:

4. Well, here's my obligatory pitch for Reverend basses. They are a little outside your price range, but:
    Passive: Check
    Character: CHECK!
    Fun to play: CHECK!!!
    It nails the Jazz tone but has a tone all its own at the same time, thanks to the semi-hollow body. Just be prepared if you get one, it won't be your second bass for long!

5. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
  6. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    Great basses mentioned, but if you want something compltely different, get a semi-hollow, Some reasons...
    1. Totaly different sound from your jazz (the same cannot be said for the reverend or the olp) Can sound very low and thumpy, or open and acoustic, some even have reasonably good highs.
    2. Very fun and cathes the eye (My crown semihollow always get's audience comments)
    3. You can get a good quality Ibanez Artcore series (gibson style semehollow) in single or doublecut for 4OO bucks, or you can get a Jay Turser Beatle Bass (hofner copy) for around 300 bucks. Used Epiphones like the rivoli, and viola models would probably be in your price range. Also, even though they are not entirely wood Most Danelectro basses are semihollow and have a distinctive look and sound.
    4. Semi hollows aren't loud enough to compete with an acoustic guitar when not plugged in, but you can definately practice alone or on a trip without an amp.
    5. Doing acoustic gigs, it is much better to have a semihollow plugged in than a solidbody, both for sound and for appearance.
    6. Though usually not as comfort-contoured as a solidbody, they are usually lighter and easier on the back.
    Convinced Yet?

My only other sugestions would be to
    1. Purchase a frettless.
    2 Get a bass with one pickup in the "high" neck position (right next too the neck) such as an epiphone eb1, or Eastwood Univox high flyer, etc. Those are distinctive looking basses that if you like deep tones, will give you a deeper tone than your jazz bass is capable of.

7. I will make the obligatory Reverend second recommendation. I got mine used, with a gig bag, shipped for $360. As Dave said, it will not be your second / backup bass for long.

8. sheepdog

sheepdog

Feb 20, 2003
    Birmingham, AL
    [​IMG]

only $299.00 new. No idea of the quality, but from the looks, definately worth considering

9. nat

nat

Mar 24, 2004
    Lexington, KY
    what kinda bass is that sheepdog?

10. Danksalot

Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    From looking at the headstock, I think it's an Oscar Schmidt. I have never played their basses, but I've seen at least 30 of their hollowbody guitars returned with the necks no longer attached and/or the pickups falling out.

There are other inexpensive hollowbody basses that would be a better bet as far as quality goes. For example:

[​IMG]

Click picture for info.

11. if you are not dead set on a passive bass I would highly recomend a used Ibanez ATK.

other than that mabey just look around a see if you can find anything interesting on the used market, ya never know what you might find.

12. peavey fury usa p-bass, it has a jazz neck... i plan on getting one soon

13. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Dean 8 or 12 string.

14. bandkindbass

bandkindbass

Feb 13, 2003
    Oslo, Norway
    I would go for a P-bass (squier or MIM/MIJ Fender) as a second bass if you already have a Jazz. But as mensioned here, a hollowbody could be a good idea.

I had a Epi Thunderbird once, and i didn't like it. The neck was ok, but the rest was pretty bad. Didn't like the glossy finish, it was too light, it had a head-dive and didn't sound very good. (but remember, there is a lot of people liking it...)

It also had a trebly sound when i knocked on the body. I guess that is a problem with how the pickups are mounted.

15. flywheel

flywheel

Jul 9, 2003
    Shawnee, KS
    BTW...do you work at Musician's Friend? I see that you're also from KC and since you said you've seen Oscar Schmidts returned... I was just curious. If you do work there, tell Pat Kelley that Flywheel said hi.

Have you had a chance to play on one of these Ibanez's that you posted the pic of? I've been wanting to try one out. I really like the look of the headstock. They've pretty much brought back the Roadster headstock on that bass.

16. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'd definatly get something fretless. I don't think the specific bass matters too much if you are just playing for fun, and I certainly think fretless/fretted matters more than anything else. How about that Rogue fretless listed on MF?

17. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    Reverend Rumblefish (used)
    Epeiphone Allen Woody signature (new)

Both are fresh, fun and different