fun playing in class

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Peter McFerrin, Oct 10, 2002.

1. I'm taking a jazz history course and was asked to bring my bass and play today.

We wanted to keep things simple so we just stuck to the blues--first in a '30s small-group swing style, and then in a bop style.

The drummer was the professor. I think he was a professional in an earlier life--I've never played with anybody that good in my entire life. His style is somewhere between Elvin Jones and Tony Williams, and since we were playing at a pretty fast tempo, I pretty much got my ass handed to me on a silver platter. :D I never thought I'd get lost playing on 12-bar blues changes, but I sure learned a valuable lesson about not always leaning on the drummer.
  2. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    nothing like a good musician as a bass teacher...

my teacher is a great guitarist and we usually have 40 minutes to work some improv blues with him on guitar and a drum machine...
  3. I once took a meat cleaver to music class.....I handed thair asses to THEM on a platter....Muhwahahaha...ah.....ah...

it aint funny :(

Peter, are you related to Bobby McFerrin? Can you do those cool sounds with your lips..?
  4. JBA: perhaps distantly, as I am of combined Scots-Irish and Greek heritage, and therefore not, y'know, black, like Mr. McFerrin.

However, it is highly likely that one of my distant collateral ancestors owned one of his direct ancestors, and took, well, y'know, "master's liberties." Y'gotta be frank about these things.
  5. Liberties, huh?

ANyhoo, Im Stevie Wonders cousin.
  6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

When I go to Jazz Summerschool, there are always some new bass players, coming from rock/pop and are suprised how different it is playing Jazz. So they are used to playing with or "locking in" with the drummer and want to talk to other bass players about the shock they got when playing Jazz.

So - in Jazz there is far more responsibility on the bass player for keeping the time and the form and there is no kick drum laying it down for you.

The same happened to me as well - you play for years and think you're pretty good - then start playing Jazz and you're a beginner again!! :(

It's better when you do classes or like the summerschool, where there are other bassplayers around, who can console you and sympathise - soften the blow!! ;)
  7. That kinda sucks acaully. I never rely on my drummer partially cuz hes a dumb ass and can't play worth ****. I just continue to play what I am playing at the same speed and don't orry about other people. As long as we all know our stuff then we're good. :rolleyes:
  8. Bruce: it's not just the kick that was missing, it was the hi-hat. The drummer in my combo tends toward more of a Philly Joe style, which makes it easier for me but probably takes away a bit of the band's momentum by comparison.

I could tell by the gleam in my professor's eye as I counted off a fairly swift tempo that he was going to try to mess with the pianist and me. I guess he doesn't get to drum in a band context much anymore, so he pulled out all the stops :D