1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Fun With Plantain

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Phalex, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Ok all you people from more tropical climates than my own. (Pretty much Ohio and beyond.) Give me your plantain recipes. Every thing I know about them I've learned from Puerto Ricans and Mexicans. (I still have lots to learn.)

When they are green, they're great in arroz con gondules.

When they're black they make for beautiful tostones.

I have no idea how mofongo works, but I love it!

I have four of them on my kitchen counter right now, about halfway between green and black. Gimme a great recipe!

2. Georynn

Georynn

Dec 4, 2007
    Memphis,Tn
    My favorite is plantain chips (twice fried), here's a Cuban recipe to shake it up a bit, straight outta my Cookbook (the Key ingredient) pretty darn awesome...

Recipe for a Cuban Beef and Plantain Pie (Pinon)

* 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
    * 1 large onion, chopped
    * 1/3 cup chopped red bell pepper
    * 1/3 cup chopped green bell pepper
    * 1/2 teaspoon salt
    * 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    * 2 bay leaves
    * 1/2 teaspoon ground achiote
    * 1 (16-ounce) can whole tomatoes, drained (juice reserved) and chopped
    * 1/2 cup drained green olives (with pimientos), halved
    * 1/2 cup tomato sauce
    * 1/4 cup raisins
    * 1 1/2 tablespoons cider vinegar
    * 6 semi-ripe plantains (yellow with some spots)
    * 1/2 cup olive oil
    * 2 eggs
    * 3 tablespoons water
    * 1/2 cup grated Parmesan

Directions

Heat a large skillet over medium high heat, add beef and cook, stirring and breaking up clumps, until no pink remains, about 5 minutes.

Add onion, chopped red and green bell peppers, salt, pepper, bay leaves, and achiote, and cook until vegetables are softened and meat is browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomatoes and reserved juice, olives, tomato sauce, raisins, and vinegar and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is flavorful and most liquid has evaporated, about 35 minutes. Transfer filling to a bowl to cool and set aside while you prepare the plantains.

Peel plantains and cut diagonally into 1/3-inch slices. In a large skillet heat 1/4 cup of the oil over medium high heat and saute plantains in batches until golden brown, about 2 minutes on each side, adding remaining oil as needed. Transfer cooked plantains to paper towels to drain.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil a 3 quart baking dish or casserole.

In a small bowl, whisk eggs and water until blended.

Pour half of egg-water mixture into baking dish and layer bottom and sides of dish with 1/3 of the plantains. Spread half of the beef filling over the plantains and sprinkle with half of the Parmesan. Top with half of the remaining plantains and then spread remaining beef filling, topping with remaining Parmesan, and ending with remaining plantains. Pour remaining egg-water mixture over top of pie, tilting to distribute evenly.

Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in middle of oven until hot throughout and bubbly around edges, about 1 hour. Cool for 10 minutes before serving pie. (Pie can be inverted onto a serving platter for a nice presentation.)

3. jomahu

jomahu

Dec 15, 2004
    Bos, MA
    ohhhh, mofongo!

i like 'em baked with butter/cheeze.
    or flattened and fried with cheeze/shredded chicken in between (like a sandwich)

there's a way to stuff 'em, i just don't know how.

4. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Georynn, that sounds awesome!!! I think I need to make a grocery list!

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I saw Aaron McCargo make Plantains Foster on his show once. They looked good.

-Mike

6. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    Damn....now i'm hungry.

Had Puerto Rican girlfriend in college who loved to cook.

Oh yeah.

7. peterbright

peterbright

Jan 23, 2007
    On The Bayou
    Arañitas

Arañitas are a variation of tostones. In Spanish, arañitas means little spiders and the recipe gets its name from the shredded plantain, which looks like spider legs when fried. Serve arañitas with a garlic dipping sauce.

Prep Time: 5 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
    • 1 green plantain
    • 3 cloves garlic (minced)
    • salt and pepper to taste
    • oil for frying

Preparation:

1. Peel the plantain and shred with a coarse grater.
    2. Place the grated plantain in salted water and let soak for about 10 minutes.
    3. Drain the grated plantain and dry with paper towels to soak up excess water.
    4. Mix the grated plantain with the garlic, and salt and pepper to taste.
    5. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium high heat.
    6. Fry the shredded mix by the spoonful in clumps until golden, about 5 minutes.
    7. Drain on paper towels and serve with garlic dipping sauce.

8. I was just going to suggest aranitas, but someone else already did.

Here's how I make mofongo:

pre-prep:
    mix some chicken broth with plenty of garlic.
    get some big green plantains and cut in half.
    get some deep fried pork skin with a little meat in them and cut them in about 3/4" square pieces.

1. peel plantains
    2. boil for about 30 mins with some salt
    3. deep fry but don't let them get too crusty on the outside, just until they're golden yellow.
    4. do some pushups, you'll need your strength and your body pretty warmed up.
    5. put plantains and some garlic coves in a "pilon" (it's a wooden mashing little concoction that can be substituded by a bowl and normal mash potato mashing tool).
    6. mash away (plantain is much harder than potatos or yucas) adding a bit of the broth/garlic mix to soften and slowly adding the pork to get it 'blended-in' to the mash.
    7. enjoy with an ice cold Presidente (difficult to get in the US other than Washington Heights, but any beer NON-LIGHT will do) and some deep fried cruncky "fajita" type of beef.

9. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Thanks guys! Thanks for the Mofongo Wilser! I love that stuff, though I haven't had it in years. I'm going to give the aranitas a shot too! (Luckily my neighborhood grocery always has plantain) I think I'm going to make them my winter project.

Gimme some more recipes!!

10. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Alrighty. My wife was out of town last week so I had no reason for cooking. This past weekend, I made the Beef and Plantian pie Georynn so kindly submitted.

Great stuff! Even better the next day!

Arañitas will be coming right up.

11. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No mention of the humble platanos con crema y frijoles? Simple but yummmm...

12. Phalex

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Hmmmm..... Gondules si, Frijoles, no.

Hook a brother up! I'm having a bit of fun with this thread!!

{EDIT} Just did a quick Google search. Refrieds and sour cream?? That **** looks tasty!!

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I second Plantain chips! :D

14. CapnSev

CapnSev

Aug 19, 2006
    Coeur d'Alene
    I think I owned a movie called "Fun with Plantain" once... :ninja:

15. peterbright

peterbright