Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fun with Probot

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, Mar 8, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    If you can't tell by my current signature... I like Probot. Though there is already a thread on it, I wanted to start a different thread. What are great ways to get into all the different singers. Some of these guys I haven't heard too much from in the past... but well, here is the list for those of you who don't know...

1. Chronos from Venom
    2. Max Cavalera from Sepultura and Soulfly
    3. Lemmy from... well... I trust you know this guy.
    4. Mike Dean from C.O.C. (Corrosion of Conformity)
    5. Kurt Brecht from D.R.I. (Dirty Rotten Imbicels)
    6. Lee Dorrian from Napalm Death and Cathedral
    7. Wino from The hidden hand/Place of Skulls/The Obssesed
    8. Tom G. Warrior from Celtic Frost and Apollyon Sun
    9. Snake from Voivod
    10. Eric Wagner from Trouble
    11. King Diamond from Mercyful Fate and Solo.

I personally am pretty familiar with Sepultura, Motorhead, Napalm Death, Mercyful Fate, and Voivod. I have heard "Necromontical Screams" by Celtic Frost. But I'm not really solid with any of these bands.

The Wino track has blown me away, where do I go from here? He's a phenomenal vocalist/guitarist. Do you know how rare it is that I compliment a guitarist? I'm also going to pick up some Cathedral and Venom. What albums should I get by them first. The Eric Wagner track is pretty sweet too. Are Trouble a, pardon the expression, Stoner Rock band. That's one of the groovy tracks and it's got way fuzzed guitar.

Basically, the point of this thread, other than to say that Probot is awesome. Think you know these bands/singers pretty well? Recommend albums by them! I'm curious. This album has renewed my faith in metal.

2. Acacia

Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    overall i like the CD. it is a good novelty for sure. the cavalera track is weak as is the tom g warrior track. i am a HUGE celtic frost fan, but this sounds too much like his apollyon son project. the lemmy track is fun and the king diamond song is great. the hidden/unnamed track is good for what it is...jack black did a fine job on it.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I love the Cavalera track, but I have to agree on the Tom G. Track. The Jack Black track (ha ha) cracks me up. It's so sterotypical metal it's great. But then again, Tenacious D is hella metal right?

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Thanks for the post Smash, I'll definatly check out the Celtic Frost you were recommending!

5. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    Well if the Probot record gets people interested in oldschool metal I shouldn't complain. ;)

Venom "Welcome to Hell" is my favorite, with "Black Metal" a close second. WtH has a bass solo on "1000 Days in Sodom". Cronos was a great hard rock/metal bassist and always did a killer extended solo live. So I'd recommend trying to find some live videos, they were definitely a "live band" and their sets always gave you a good representation of all their material from the singles (Manitou!) to the concept album (At War with Satan).

For Celtic Frost I'll second the "To Mega Therion" recommendation. But "Into the Pandemonium"??? That was the beginning of their poser-sellout phase. You'd do much better picking up "Emperor's Return", the re-issue of "Morbid Tales" w/bonus tracks.

Cathedral's good but Candlemass was better. 'Nuff said.

Their original drummer Oly left the band to become a priest... :rolleyes:

IMO the high point of "The Skull" was the killer track "Wickedness of Man"... the debut "Psalm 9" is a classic.

6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What Celtic Frost album did Necromantical Screams come off of? I dig that, it's very big and dramatic. Timpani drums and everything!

Note: If you haven't heard Probot, these tracks are like Dave Grohl's musical take on the band's sound. For the bands I know pretty well (Voivod, Sepultura, Motorhead, Mercyful Fate), he nails their sound pretty close. So for all I know, I might not be as huge a fan of some of the tracks as others, and some bands might be better than Probot implies. But Smash, if you haven't heard it, I really recommend checking out the Wino track, "The Emerald Law." Very cool. I dig the volume swells under the solo. Well constructed track.

7. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    NJ
    That's the last track on To Mega Therion. Not for nothin' dude, but do you ever use google to look up discographies, tracklists & reviews?

If you dig big & dramatic, you'll also like the track Dawn of Megiddo from the same album.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah but I'm lazy and just making conversation...