1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Function band pedal suggestions?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bunch O Numbers, Dec 21, 2018.

1. Bunch O Numbers

Bunch O Numbers

Dec 21, 2017
    Australia
    I joined a function band recently and looking for suggestions for what pedals I should get. The main thing I need is to be able to get a variety of synth bass sounds without having to fiddle with pedal controls mid gig. For that I was thinking of using different combinations of an analogue octave, an envelope filter and some sort of dirt or fuzz but I'm open to some other solution. I'm also looking to get an always-on compressor and a polytune mini. I'd like for none of them to be to big as well (trying to fit it all on a pedaltrain nano). Looking forward to your suggestions

2. I've gone down your suggested route of octave, filter, and dirt / fuzz.
    I use the MXR Bass Octave Deluxe, two filters; the MXR M82 Bass Envelope Filter, which is a band pass filter, and the supremely excellent 3Leaf GR2 set for low pass. (I use the Dunlop Bass Wah on occasion too)

As for dirt, I use VMT, Boss ODB3 (which is surprisingly usable), and the weirdly synthy Tech21 Red Ripper (which can sound super-synthy on it's own!)
    I also have the Mooer Bass Fog, which is a clone of the Woolly Mammoth gated fuzz. It's not my favourite pedal, and doesn't really play well with active basses, but does the job I guess? :)
    For always-on compression, I have the excellent Seymour Duncan Studio Bass compressor stuck at the end of my signal chain. Again, a really useful and versatile pedal.

I guess the best way to gauge what works for your needs is to experiment! :)

Bunch O Numbers likes this.
  3. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Right now I am running an Octron2 into an MXR Bass Auto Q filter into an EBS FuzzMo. The Octron2 having separate footswitches for the down octave, dry signal, and the ringer-type upper octave makes it super versatile. So I can get several sounds that work for copping synth lines:
    - Clean + Down octave
    - Clean + Down octave -> filter
    - Down octave only (might have to use your foot to up the level when it's soloed compared to with-dry)
    - Down octave only -> filter
    - Clean/Down/Up -> filter (the upper octave is quite fuzzy so it gives more synth edge)
    - And for a beastly, searing lead synth tone: Clean/Down/Up -> filter -> fuzz. And with these specific pedals there is no runaway noise or feedback or anything, but then again my FuzzMo isn't set to super high gain

Add a chorus to any/all of the above for some 80s flavor =0)

4. DDXdesign

DDXdesign formerly 'jammadave' Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Oh, and sorry, I didn't read all the way through - the pedals I listed above would fit on a Nano, I think, but not leaving room for much else. Doh!

Big fan of the Polytune Minis for tuner, and for tiny compression I'm an Accountant fan - gives you a little bit of crunch along with compression, which I enjoy.