functional ear trainer not so functional

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Oct 24, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Ive been trying the functional ear trainer program that you can download off the web for free, and its gotten high reviews but i dont think im getting it.

It says that i should internally hear the scale notes between the note it plays and the nearest tonic. The problem i have is that i dont hear the scale notes, instead i just go based on a)the notes that i have heard in the past questions and b) my judging of the distance between the note it plays and the tonic.

Am i missing something, or is this program just not for me? Should i try the advanced ear trainer first and then go back to the basic? Or is it just a matter of time?

2. Can you post the link? I would like to try it
  3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    As with just about all learning, there are many ways to get to where you want to go. Some methods that work astoundingly well for some people might not work at all for other people. As such, internally hearing scales as a basis to identify intervals and melody movement and chords may or may not be the right approach for you.

That Said, internal hearing is *very* important, it's pretty much the reason for ear training if you ask me. So, take that for what it's worth. I personally believe that ear training should be all about internal hearing, and that ultimately to have a functional ear you need to be able to understand intervalic relationships with harmony and melody... internally.

just judging the difference between the two notes may work for now, but if you don't know how you're doing it or if you don't understand that difference, you may find yourself bottlenecked later down the line.
  4. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    hmmm, i cant remember the link, but if you search ear training it should come up somewhere (thats how i found it)