Fundamentals First!!

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by dabass, Feb 13, 2006.

1. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    I see a ton of posts on TB which are very informative and helpful to my development as a player. I was wondering however, what your opinions are regarding adding "more advanced" techniques such as 3 and 4 finger techniques ect. before you have really developed your basic fundamentals as a player (time, left hand positioning, alt 1st and 2nd fingers on R hand ect) Should we build from the ground up (fundamentals to more advanced) or would working on more advanced technique variations early help you develop faster as a player! What suggestions would you make to an intermediate level player to really take it to the next level??
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I think the magic of great bass playing is in the detail, not the 'flash' - great bass playing rarely requires mind-blowing manual dexterity. What it requires is deep listening, and an in-grained well trained sense of what the right sound and feel are for a particular part. You can never spend too long getting your sound and your sense of feel together - feel is a combination of time/groove/dynamics, all the things that influence the way a track feels.

And, as you intimate, the rest of the stuff is built on those fundamentals - any dextrous feats of bass-gymnastics still need to same level of concern applied in the areas of sound and feel as it does to speed.

there's nothing at all 'wrong' with fast playing, but speed and clever tricks are no substitute for knowing your craft.

3. dabass

dabass Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2005
    Thanks Steve, I think that often times is overlooked. Bass I guess, serves an important function in music and we as students get caught up being "awed" by alot of the "cool" stuff! I get the message!!!!By the way, I meant developing faster skills as a player, not speed on the fret board!