Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funeral Friday

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Apr 2, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    my stepdads grandmother died yesterday, and the viewing/funeral is friday

this is my frist time attending a service like this...

anything i should expect?

bp13

2. Lots of emotion. Lots of people standing around not knowing what to say, but meaning well. Just be there and be strong for the people who will need you.

3. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    It's hard to say. Everyone reacts differently to death. The best thing is to be polite and respectful. Some people may want to unload a lot of emotion others may not have anything to say.

4. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    that will probably be me, seeing as i wasn't real close to her and i'm only going out of respect

bp13

5. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    The funeral is often when it hits home as it were. Some people get very emotional (it is the last goodbye). I've been to Anglican Catholic and Baptist/other funerals. They are all slightly different.

Just keep and eye/ear out what to do at certain times. You may be asked to stand sit kneel whatever.

RE the burial; if it's in a graveyard then you might need a coat, it can be pretty miserable standing out in the cold/rain etc. For a cremation the coffin is placed on a platform. The person conducting the service may lead prayer whilst the body is sent to the next part (it's not cremated then but later). Be aware of this if you want to see someone off (some do some don't, some get upset when they missed it) so keep your eyes open.

There's usually a meal/drink afterwards. If there's alcohol don't get slaughtered, in fact I don't touch it until I get home.

I have been to far too many funerals and it's never easy.It's emotionally draining but it is a resolution (obviously of different sorts depending on the religous beliefs).

I've never been to one but Muslim funerals have mourners to make a lot of noise.

I have tried to be a respectful to all faiths and non faiths please let this thread stay so.

Hang in there BP13 and play your bass/playstation/etc when it's over.

6. I'm like that.

I'm sorry to hear about your family’s bereavement.

I think Roark's hit the nail on the head , so to speak.

7. I found funerals to be the best time to get back at your annoying aunts.
    You know the ones that come up to you at weddings and pinch your cheeks and say "You're next! You're Next!"
    Well, they sure do stop that pretty quickly when you approach them at a funeral saying "You're next! You're next!"

8. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    I know where your coming from. A friend of ours died yesterday. I will be attending the funeral this weekend. I also attended a funeral about a month and half ago.

Just be aware of others feelings and how they are dealing with it, use that as an idea of how to approach someone. It's never easy. You'll get through it.

Just remember bass players can deal with anything.

9. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland

LMAO!:D

I was gonna say Steak Pie - that seems to be what to expect over here!

On a more serious note - sorry to hear of your family's bereavement. I've been to a few funerals, close family and not so close family. You will see a variety of people come to pay their respects, some very upset, some coming through respect and maybe not so upset.

Mostly it'll be a fairly sombre day. You just gotta try to be there for the folks that may need to lean on you