Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Fung Shui Gig

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by John Davis, Aug 23, 2002.

1. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I got back from metalarch69's (Jay) gig over in Humble....they are pretty good. I got a bit skeptical when I saw the guitarist pull out a 7-string ESP, but when they started playing my doubts were put to rest. Drums were nice and in-beat from what I picked up, guitar did well(although it did seem to mask the bass at times..), and the bass work was really good, their vocalist did well...though she didn't perform as much as I thought she would have.

Overall, I had a great time.....though our little Jakey here should not have backed out. :mad:

[​IMG]

2. Excuse me, but how small minded are you gonna be? Just because Korn use them doesn't mean you should start doubting the integrity of the band. Dino Cazares and John Petrucci both play 7 strings.

3. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    It's just from my limited(I'll admit) expierence with local bands, when they pull out a 7-string they tend to be not my genre of music, that's all I'm saying. Yes, it was small-minded on my part, but that was how I felt.

4. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Hey thanks John. I'm really glad you could make it out. I'm sorry we weren't up to our normal standard, this being our first gig all summer due to the absence of Hannah (singer) during the summer.
    But I can't complain...while it wasn't the best we've ever done, it was fairly good and I had a great time. Crowd reaction seemed pretty good as well. When it's all said and done, our drummer is old (birthday was that night) and the coffee was good.

BTW, for anyone in the area that is interested, our next show at the very same location is September 28th. Check www.fuelcybercafe.com for details. And I promise things will go smoother than they did last time.

PS - Hey John, remember that guy (Joey) that got up on stage when we were stalling (broken string)? We ran into him and his buddies at Denny's that night. Pretty cool, heh.

5. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas
    I think so....this guy?

[​IMG]

6. Jay

Jay

Oct 19, 2000
    Bidwell, OH
    Yep. Cool guy, think he said he's gonna make the next one.

PS - Never talked to that girl, but I found out who she is, so next time, lol. They all left before I got a chance to find them.

See?! Y'all need to make our shows, lots of girls for you guys and guys for you girls. I'm not taken (ladies only, :p).

7. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Dunno if the fact that Cazares and Petrucci play 7-strings is going to do any good to their reputation.. :p

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    For the record, 7-string archtop guitars were quite common back when the KoRn guys weren't even born yet...

cf. George Van Eps et al.