Funk and more

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by danqi, Dec 27, 2001.

1. danqi

May 21, 2001
    I plan on expanding my horizon by buying ONE CD of each of the following acts in the next time.
    Any recommendations which CDs that should be?
    Unfortunately they are all quite unknown to me and I am afraid of the "checking-a-CD-out-quickly-at-the-store-thinking-it-sounds-cool-buying-it-and-later-finding-out-it-is-the-bands-weakest-album" syndrome, a.k.a "Risk" syndrome (Megadeth).

Here is the list:
    -Earth Wind And Fire
    -James Brown
    -Little Feat
    -Peter Gabriel
    -Stanley Clarke
    -Sly And The Family Stone
    -The Meters
    -Otis Redding

Thanks in advance,
  2. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I like Gratitude...if you like 'it' LIVE & in-your-face! ;)
    I'd like to hear some comments from the Old Skool peanut gallery regarding EW&F's DEBUT album.

Sly & The Family Stone-
    Maybe The Anthology...
    Dance To The Music & Stand are also strong.
    Sidenote: Check out Graham Central Station's DEBUT album.

The Meters-
    If possible, spring for the 2-cd set, Funkify Your Life. Otherwise, Rejuvenation would be my choice(& it's a difficult choice!).

Stanley Clarke-
    His SECOND album(called Stanley Clarke)...the one with "Lopsy Lu". More 'raw' than his subsequent releases.
    Journey To Love & School Days will also get some votes.
    The "Song For John(Coltrane)" on Journey To Love blows me away!

Add MANDRILL to your list! ;)
  3. Primus:
    I don't have all of their albums, but I do have "Pork Soda," "Sailing the Seas of Cheese," "Tales from the Punchbowl," and "Antipop." I personally don't care for "Tales from the Punchbowl" that much, but that's just my opinion. "Antipop" has some good songs; out of the other albums of theirs I have, this one's the most different: it's more metal than the others (they have some guest-star metal guitarists, even). I like "Pork Soda" and "Sailing the Seas of Cheese" a lot; either one of these would be worth checking out if you want to hear some Primus. I hear their earlier stuff ("Frizzle Fry") is good too, but I haven't checked it out yet. Oh, and I assume Primus falls under the "and more" of the thread title, 'cause if you're looking for funk from Primus, you'll be disappointed. :)
  4. Earth Wind and Fire - "All n' All"
    Stanley Clarke - "The Bassic Collection" -A greatest hits typr of CD that has lot of good stuff on it.
  5. danqi

May 21, 2001
    I went to the store and bought Stanley Clarke's selftitled album, Primus' "Sailing..." and Earth Wind & Fire's "All 'N All". I am very pleased with these albums, and this is just the beginning.
    I also bought the new Blaze album - good stuff!

There is only one thing that kinda scared me:
    On the back of the All 'N All booklet is the pyramid of the Illuminati (with the eye on top)!
    (Yes, I am a little paranoid:rolleyes: :) )

P.S.: What would be a good Jimmy Hendrix album?
  6. Mikkel-S

Jun 27, 2001
    Herning, Denmark
    Primus Frizzle Fry
  7. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

To cover some of those that JimK "avoids". Peter Gabriels' "So" has probably his most famous "funky" track and is a good album - although I wouldn't class any of his stuff as funk really - some great bass lines from Tony Levin however!

Littel Feat made some great albums - again, I wouldn't call any of it really funk as such. But "The Last Record Album" is probably the most "commercial" and listenable - again some great basslines!

Stanley Clarke - hmmm, difficult to recommend one album - could cheat and say the "Bassic Collection" which is a compilation and has a fair number of funky tunes!
  8. APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    The one I really must insist on to all and sundry is The Payback by JB - it is super-funky, the percussionist is outstanding and the band is so tight, each hardly plays anything, but together they create the most incredible rhythms.
  9. melvin

Apr 28, 2001
    For Primus you cant go wrong with "Frizzle Fry" and "Sailing the Seas of Cheese" they are both great albums, good bass playing (except the frettless on Seas of Cheese is quite sloppy, but that adds greatnessity to the songs)

I personally prefer "Frizzle Fry"
  10. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Within the past month, I have added these-

EW&F's DEBUT album

Graham Central Station's DEBUT + the follow-up, Release Yourself.
    IMO, all 3 kick some major booty...these early GCS albums totally reek of Sly & The Family Stone(that's a GOOD thing!).
    The EW&F debut is unlike their latter forays into Funk Pop-dom.
  11. old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    Did ya call me Jim? :D