Funk and/or Sould recommendations

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by carliuxdelgado, Nov 22, 2004.

1. I've never been into these styles, but I was recently convinced (by reading several interviews to bassists) that listening to them would enrich my bass playing... Where should I start? How about two or three albums of either/each genra? hank you.
  2. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

For R&B/Soul, I would recommend any Motown compilation. Any pre-90's Earth, Wind & Fire. There are a couple of volumes of the compilation, Pure Funk. Any James Brown compilation. For some wet dripping funk bass, try and find Stellar Fungk [The Best Of Slave]. These are my suggestions. Others will chime in with their picks. There are quite a few cats here that delve deep into these particular styles and can give you a wealth of information.

3. Incognito: Live in Tokyo (Import) 1996 closely followed by anything else by the same band.

Randy Hope-Taylor/ Julian Crampton funkmeisters extaordinaire!!

You really don't need to look any further IMHO.
  4. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

True true! I meant to add anything by The Brothers Johnson would be beneficial as well.
  5. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Kool and the Gang
    The Meters
    Parliment Funkadelic
    Bootsy Collins Rubber Band
    James Brown

All good places to start :)
  6. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Bootsy Collins - Back in the Day (Best of) is a good place to start.

Also I would check out Jamiroquai - Syncronized, or Travelling Without Moving are great albums.
  7. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Don't forget that there are a lot of jazzy funk artists from the 60s and 70s who blurred the lines between the genres nicely.

Here are some:

- Lonnie Liston Smith
    - Roy Ayers
    - Bobby Humphrey
    - Jimmy Smith (specifically, his "Root Down Live" CD)
    - Late 60s Freddie Hubbard - "Straight Life", especially
  8. Wow! That was quick... Thanks guys, I'm on my way to tower records... Keep posting your suggestions.

PS. Alright... I just checked out some of your suggestions. I truly enjoyed the following... Bootsy Collins, The Meters :cool: , Roy Ayers, and Jimmy Smith's "Root Down"... In those lines, any other suggestions? Also, to give you a better idea, one of the biggest factors that made me look for this type of music was the soundtrack of "City of God"... have you checked it out?
  9. bassjamn

Jan 4, 2002
    San Francisco
    listening to liquid soul now, they would fall into this category too. Great band.
  10. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Nobody mention Tower Of Power? There's an excellent two-CD compilation: "What Is Hip? The Best Of Tower Of Power". Blood, Sweat And Tears is also an excellent band to listen to.
  11. If you like liquid soul you might also want check out soulive, a little smoother but still some pretty cool stuff.

Also for some more modern...lets call it "pop funK" (for the sake of having to label ALL music) you might want to check out Phoenix. The new album is pretty good but the old one is awesome.

Speaking of which, can anybody here recommend some more bands along the lines of Phoenix? I've never really found anybody that sounds like them.
  12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Of course, one would be remiss if one failed to mention the fact that Soulive does not have a bassist. ;)
  13. pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    T Connection
    Fatback band
    Jimmy Castor Bunch
    Isley Bros
    Graham Cenral station (Larry Graham)
    Sly and the family stone
    Dyke and the Blazers
    Rick James
    Ohio Players
  14. adam on bass

adam on bass Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2002
    New Braunfels, Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, GK, EMG and D'Addario
    Two words:

Graham Central
  15. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I just got one of their albums off of BMG music.. I can't wait for it to arrive :).
  16. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    Curtis Mayfield
    Marvin Gaye
    Gil Scott Heron
    The Meters
    Brand New Heavies
    Remy Shand
    Joss Stone

couple mentioned, a couple not
  17. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Don't forget to check out who played on basically every single motown hit for a decade. JAMES JAMERSON. He created some of the first funk lines.

Bootsy Collins both for his work with James Brown and his crazy stuff in Parliament and Bootsy's Rubber Band.

But I highly suggest James Brown and The Meters for that type of sound and Larry Graham in Graham Central Station and Stanley Clarke is another great for some real funky, slap stuff.

Good Luck.
  18. Alright my fellow bassheads, here's my update... So far I've listened to about 70-80% of your suggestions and my favorite ones were Soulive, The Meters, Phoenix, and Jimmy Smith's Root Down. Anything in that line? Particularly The Meters and Soulive.
  19. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

So you're diggin' the more soulful grass rootsy greasy stripped down funk like stuff. I can't help you there. I'm more 70's-80's funk/r&b rooted.
  20. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Soulive is also one of my favorite bands, not sure why I didnt list them. However, if you want some live shows of theirs, Id be glad to send you a link to them, just PM me. Also might like Medeski Martin and Wood if you liked Soulive. Little different vibe, but funky none the less. Maybe more Jazz than Funk, I dont know hehe.

Anyhow, End of the World Party [just in case], their newest one is awesome.

You might also dig Spearhead with Michael Franti.

Oh, and check out Alan Evans (Soulive Drummers) Solo Album called Let It Ride. Its awesome funky stuff :)