1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Funk bass & brass groove

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Axel F, Jun 27, 2007.

1. Axel F

Axel F

Mar 2, 2005
    Loughborough, UK
    I've been following the Funk 101 thread with great interest though I came to it very late and have a lot of catching up to do!

Specifically I'm after a couple of instrumental Funk/Soul tunes with killer bass and brass hooks to open each set of a Motown/Funk/Soul show. Kind of in the vein of Pick Up The Pieces but we're really after something a little less obvious. I know there must be some amazing tunes out there that I've just never heard of, any suggestions greatly appreciated.

If you're interested, the band can be heard here, though ignore the brass - it's being rerecorded with a different section.

Detroit Soul

2. KidFunky

KidFunky

Jul 15, 2005
    I think I can help you out here with suggestions but I need more info.

• What are the boundaries? (I assume something like Defunkt is out, but is Maceo and all the king's men acceptable?)
    • How much brass are we talking about?
    • Difficulty level?

I will post some regardless but this info will help.

3. I've heard great instrumental versions of stevie wonders "Do I Do" and "Superstition"
    maybe stanley clarke's school days could be adapted also watermelonman

4. KidFunky

KidFunky

Jul 15, 2005
  5. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Man, I'm totally digging your playing! Yu gotz the funk, fo' sho'!! :)

6. Axel F

Axel F

Mar 2, 2005
    Loughborough, UK
    Thanks for the suggestions, as far as the section goes they're a 3 piece - trumpet, sax and trombone, all experienced pro guys so should be able to handle whatever we throw at them - the limit will be my arranging skills! ;)

Do I Do and Superstsition are already in the set, good shout on the Stanley Clarke stuff though. Defunkt is probably a bit too out there for our audiences yeah, I have to admit I don't know Maceo and all the King's Men though. I'm also after something a bit more explosive than Give It Up - I know that's a very vague description sorry, we want something that's a real show stopper though. Really appreciate the help though, please keep the suggestions coming :)

7. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    The Streets Of San Francisco - Nic Raine

It's a theme, but a killer horn line. Check out an Amazon sample here.

8. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Taxed To The Max- TOP. Great groove, explosive horns, perfect message.

9. KidFunky

KidFunky

Jul 15, 2005
  10. 30hrz

30hrz

May 13, 2007
    Toronto
    From my post in the Funk 101 thread, Banda Black Rio is pretty horn heavy funk:

Banda Black Rio - Mr. Funky Samba

Also try some Fela Kuti or Manu Dibango . African funk often gets overlooked till someone plays it and then people go "Oooh yeah, I remember that tune."

11. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Anything by Tower of Power!

12. 30hrz

30hrz

May 13, 2007
    Toronto
    On a side note one of the things I hear missing from modern day Funk/Soul bands with horns is that the horn section sounds rather soft, lacking punch. I think JB set the standard with horns that punch you like an unwanted step-child. It's a timing thing and a matter having a crisp attack.

I like your band though. Very well done covers.

13. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    Check out 00soul (Double-O-Soul) from California. They do a lot of funk instrumental stuff with good brass. Might not be what you're looking for though since they're still pretty fresh on the scene.

14. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Definitely in the same vibe as "PUTP"(because it's still AWB) & less obvious (because these instrumentals never had airplay)-
    "Goin' Home" from AWB's Soul Searching album
    "Sweet And Sour"-from AWB's Warmer Communications album

Liquid Soul is a band with some cookin' instrumentals that may be what you're looking for.

15. Axel F

Axel F

Mar 2, 2005
    Loughborough, UK
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I really appreciate it. I'm off out to buy the TOP back catalalogue now and will definately check out all the others, some great tunes posted :)

Thanks also for the kind words about the band, it's taken me about a year to get the band together but I'm really happy with how it's going and I really appreciate the comments.

If anyone has any more sudden brainwaves please drop them in :)

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 9, 2021