Funk Bass choice.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ultramangeos, Apr 8, 2002.

1. Ok, you have around $1,000 (US), and you want a good thumping 4 string funk bass. Something that slaps good, but can play solid jazz lines also.
    I am looking at Fender Jazz, MM Stingray, Warwick Corvette Standard, etc...What would you buy? I am looking for the next step up from my MIM Jazz.
  2. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    For Funkification, I'd say a Fender P (funk of choice for many), or a Stingray*, though Funk is in the eye of the beer holder...if by Funk you're looking for something big, fat and round, then I'd go ahead and say Pedulla Thubderbass, Rapture, or MVP, all buttery slices o' funk. Can be had for around 1000 used. Just my 2/100's of 100/100.

*While the Stingray is a bit of a one trick pony, it's certainly a NICE trick. But, I think a Pedulla would funk it up fierce...
  3. slowburnaz

Mar 27, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Hands down, it either the Stingray (my personal choice) or the Fender P.

If you want dirty, grinding, cut-through-any-mix-you-can-think-of funk lines, go with the Stingray.

Big, fat, wholesome funk with some stank on the end of it, go with the Fender P.
  4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

P bass slap sound is an acquired taste. Most prefer the Jazz or Stingray for slap. For fingerstyle fonk, the P bass reigns supreme IMHO.

For $1000 US, I would look for a used Pedulla Rapture J2. Does everything that a Jazz does, but even better IMHO. Can't go wrong with a USA Jazz either.
  5. air4me2

air4me2 Guest

Feb 19, 2002
    I play a MIM fender too,, the problem (or blessing)I've had for a while is that most basses for a grand don't sound/play much better than my $300 jazz.

BUT Carvin's are definately worth their cash,, and i just played a Warwick Corvette Proline that was absolutely golden for funk/finger/tapping for $1290.
  6. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i hate to say it again, but for jazz and funk, warwick ownz. plenty of used bolt ons with wenge necks for under a grand.
  7. Jon Burnet

Jon Burnet

Jan 21, 2001
    Memphis, TN
    somehow i am offended you called my beloved a one trick pony!lol seriously though... the sr5 gives you quite a bit of tonal options. if not enough why not go for a skyline?
  8. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    A used Stingray can invariably be had for around $800. I think it would be the "next step up" given your preferences.
  9. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    You could get a P-Bass, but unfortunately it would only be a pretender to my '69, the best P-Bass ever produced in the Universe :)D ) so since that may not be acceptable to you I can only suggest two other choices that would be appropriate:

STER - &

:cool: -Larry J (who loves to talk about his restored '69 P-Bass because it IS the sh**!!)
  10. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    if you like to slap with in your funkyness, i would say a MM.. I don't like the slap tone of a p-bass...

Of course i would say grab you a ray 5. ;)
  11. Personally, I think the slap tone on a P-bass sucks bunghole! And I did some slappin' on an original '62 ( i think)...but I suggest a J-Bass or Stingray!
  12. jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    on the other hand, a well-worn P bass with some flats has a slap tone that cannot be duplicated in any other bass.

i kinda like it, but i'd never use it ;)
  13. Warwick Corvette...

I don't know why but this bass has a great voice and slap articulation, nice snap on the top end that growls on the low... Forgive me Ibanez, My third choice would of been the SR1005, I swear.
  14. frankosaurus

Feb 27, 2002
    San Jose
    stringray is a great choice -- also I like how the single pickup position give you a little more room for slapping/popping

also it's the former choice of flea, right?
  15. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

He used it a lot on tours, but did not record much with it.
  16. jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    any bass is acceptable,

tho wood wise, i'm more partial to a maple neck and swamp ash body. seems to have the best attack and edge for slap, and fast fingered funk. unfortunately, most if not all my basses have that combo. dag, i need to mix it up a bit in here. :)

also, i too cant stand slappin' on a pbass, tho a pj bass is a great compromise of versatility and sheer funk madness. If its good enough for Vic Woot's YingYang bass, its good enough for me.
  17. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    For Funk my weapon of choice would be and is an MIA Fender Jazz. Good slap tones, and you can get a P type sound if you use the neck pickup. One of the most versatile basses out there IMO

Another good bass for funkology is the Stingray. Its very common among funkologists and even has the versatility to play most other genres.

You may also want to look into the Peavey Cirrus.

Ive never played a pedulla, but I know of their reputation and it's top notch! I have yet to hear a single complaint about them.
  18. RS

Aug 27, 2000
    Cleveland, OH
    P bass is the original funk bass. Hands down.
    For slap (which is not really funk music imho, but does borrow from it rhythmically) I'd choose an ash
    body, maple neck jazz bass. Singray is a good second choice.
  19. craigers2

Sep 26, 2001
    i'd go with either a maple neck jazz bass (maybe find a "vintage" 70's model) or the stingray.