1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Funk bass / RSI

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by rossowen_uk, Nov 7, 2002.

1. Can anyone recommend any funk albums with skillful bassery? I'm just getting into this style,

Cheers.

PS. What kind of repetetive strain injuries can I expect to encounter as a bass guitarist? Is there anything I can do to prevent them? Or should I start saving for private healthcare? :rolleyes:

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

On the first - just too many to mention - do a search on Funk as this has come up many times before and you will get huge lists.

On RSI - well I have played bass for over 25 years and have never got it. But I have heard from a London physiotherapist that he has treated many pro bass guitar players for this - usually problems with your wrists.

The thing is to have your wrists in a relaxed position and not to be straining all the time, if you want to avoid this.

Correct technique taught by a teacher is the easiest way to avoid problems. It's not something you can do over the internet - you need to be standing in front of the person and looking at how they play. Just one face-to-face lesson with a good teacher could cure bad habits that will cause a lifetime of pain!!

Of course many bass players in bands are self-taught and don't use good technique, so are liable to get RSI, once they start gigging regularly - and it's not just punk/rock/pop bass players - the physiotherapist told me about a Jazz/Funk player who he was treating for RSI.

3. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    Two Herbie Hancock albums spring to mind - "Head Hunters" (1973) and "Thrust" (1974). Paul Jackson is the bass player. Also Jamiroquai - "Return Of The Space Cowboy" (1994) and "Travelling Without Moving" (1996) - Stuart Zender played bass on those albums, he's a great funk bass player. You also might like to check out Jaco's first solo album, simply called "Jaco Pastorius" (1976). There's also a tune from Jaco's live album "Invitation" (1983) called "The Chicken" - a great example of funky bass playing.

4. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Pure Funk Vol. I & II compilation CDs are probably a good place to start.