1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Funk Bass with a solo

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bill_banwell, Aug 14, 2012.

1. bill_banwell

bill_banwell Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Hi everyone, this is a video i recorded this afternoon, im playing along to a funk backing track which is in the key of Bb, and just messing about with some grooves, i also added a solo at the end, all improvised, let me know what you think.

If you like the video, please feel free to subscribe to my youtube channel as i will be adding more videos in the next few weeks.

Thanks!

2. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    Nice! I would like to humbly thank you for not playing in E or A.

3. bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Haha, thanks, yes they are both quite common keys for funk! it was interesting improvising in Bb minor!

4. TheBasicBassist

TheBasicBassist

Jan 8, 2009
    Newark, DE
    Endorsing Artist: Rosado Guitars
    Super tasty! Love the "Rocco" section. :)

5. bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Cheers man :) gotta love a bit of Prestia!

6. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    What!?! A "funk" song with no slap / pop??? How dare you! < /sarcasm >

Seriously, though, the only way it would be better is if you were jumping around wearing nothing but a sock.

Pay attention kiddies, Funk = ONE 2 -3 - 4 ONE 2 - 3 - 4

7. bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Haha, the slap video is on its way!

8. bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Actually it will be up next week, just going to order some new strings and get that nice zing sound! The strings I currently have on the bass are 2 years old (fast fretted the hell out them)

9. I saw your name and I was convinced it wouldn't be funky at all. Thank you for disproving my assumption - hard.

10. bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England

Haha! I don't blame you though.. I created this username back when I started playing bass at 13! I wish I could change it, but ah well! :)

Thanks for watching!

11. henry2513

henry2513 Supporting Member

May 9, 2011
    Los Angeles, Ca
    That's excellent playing!

12. bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Thankyou Henry, glad you enjoyed it!

13. That's down right nasty. I'm subscribing!! haha

Could you go over some of the direction you used during your solo? What modes or scales you used to improvise. I'm new to the solo game and I haven't gotten past the ole minor pentatonic Byron Miller funk licks. Thanks in advance if you've got the time!!

14. bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Thanks dude, 'nasty' is what I'm going for! Haha

About the solo, I'm not thinking modes or scales, but mainly just shapes that I know work well over Bb minor and the rest is using my ear to guide me to a nice sounding phrase or run!
    I'm not heavy into the theory side of things, I tend to just use my ear to find my way around the fretboard! Lots of practice helps aswell, even if it's noodling over changes or whatever :)

15. sammyp

sammyp

Aug 20, 2010
    NB, Canada
    that's deadly man! that's kinda where i hope to land someday...need a couple more years of shunning my guitar in favor of my bass!

16. bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Thanks sammy! my advice is - just keep practicing, keep listening to as much music as possible and keep finding inspiration to push yourself to higher levels! :)

17. Damn son!

18. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    Very cool. Where did you get the jam track from, if you don't mind me asking?

19. bill_banwell

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    Cheers man, I got the backing track from an album called practice-tracks for bass on spotify! :)

20. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Flint, Michigan
    Sweet, I love Spotify! I've never even thought to look on there for that kind of thing. I'll check it out.