Funk Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by daTHChronic, Mar 7, 2005.

1. daTHChronic

Nov 12, 2004
    Tampa, Fl.
    I've been getting into different types of music lately, and have landed on Funk, and I love it. Right now, I am playing on a 4-string Ibanez Soundgear SR300DX, and it's not bad, but I feel that sometimes the pick ups get in my way. But I want to buy a new bass, and preferably one for Funk. So, I just needed a few questions answered before I go out buying. What is a good brand to buy? What special features should I look for? And I dont plan on spending more than 500-600 dollars really. Thanks in advance for all the help.
  2. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I would say musicman but its a bit outta your price range (mm about twice it). Fender standard jazz.
  3. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

+1 on the Jazz bass

Could look for a used Musicman Stingray, or a Musicman S.U.B.
    Musicmans are great for slappin'! :D

Get a maple fretboard.
  4. Geddy Lee or Aerodyne Fenders!
  5. EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    Keep in mind, a "funk" sound is not one particular tone. You've got everything from a Marcus Miller Jazz, Musicmans for a variety of tones, Victor Wooten uses EMG PJ sets, and a bunch of other tones. The general concensus is that a Jazz/MM pickup combo is the best of all worlds for funk. You get get a jazzy tone with a vintage slap sound or both/just MM for a little more modern/punchier tone.

If you want to slap, get a Maple board and at least a MM pickup.

6. Besides Musicmans, warwicks are also perfect basses to play funk. If you like the tones of Zender (jamiroquai), you can go and buy a warwick. For $600 you will probably find a second hand corvette or streamer.
  7. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    $600 could prob get you a 2nd hand corvette if it's passive, but prob not active. $600 would not get you a Streamer by any means unless it's one of the Streamer Standards. I have a Streamer LX5 and can guarentee even a used one would be at least $900 or more depending on the condition. Anyways...back to the funk issue...I agree Warwicks have a wonderful and unique sound that would be great for funk music, just depends on the tone you want. I personally prefer my Stingray5 for slapping but for fingerstyle funk I prefer my Warwick. Depends on the style you prefer to play :bassist:
  8. a good bet would be to try and find a used 70s KSD. Funktastic.
  9. Only a little more money could get you a nice Stingray, if you watch eBay carefully. I think that would be a good choice.
  10. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    $600, streamer? ha.

Corvette, yes.
  11. Stinkoman20xx

Oct 19, 2003
    try messing with your eq first.Trying turning of the midrange and turning up the bass and treble if your not doing that already.Funk is more in the heart rather then tone.

Get a used geddy lee.
  12. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    ....If you are looking for funky tone however..... the price range you are talking about, lose the IBEENHAD and get a OLP 5 string.....
    This post cannot be disputed!!
  13. daTHChronic

Nov 12, 2004
    Tampa, Fl.
    Ya, I was looking at MM, but I dont have enough money. I was also hoping someone would say Warwicks, I've seen them in my price range at my local guitar shop. Thanks for all the help.
  14. proc83

Jan 18, 2005
    I was in the same boat as you. I had an SR300DX (great bass) before moving up to a Stingray. After a couple weeks I took it back for a Bongo. They're out of your price range, but I just wanted to share my story :) MusicMan rocks, try out a S.U.B.
  15. junglebike

junglebike Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2003
    San Diego, CA
    Funk tone comes in a million flavors. Modern or old skool?

George Porter plays a P-bass

"Funk Brother" Jamerson did too

Lots of James Brown's bassists used P and J basses.

Modern funk is a much brigher tone, tho.
  16. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I recently found out that my "battle basses" (two Fernandes Gravity Deluxe 5ers -in your price range-) funk as much as my Stingray 5 (double its price). Gravity + .040 Ernie Ball strings = EXTREMELY FUNKY! Anyway I have to agree it's not the tool, man! If I were you I'd get a SUB, a Gravity Deluxe or a Geddy Jazz (only Fender I would ever buy).

17. 11Bravo

11Bravo In That Pocket

Feb 4, 2005
    I dont like my sry for funk,thats why i'm trying to trade it.I like warwicks for funk.I would choose warwick over musicman.
  18. Funky Doctor

Funky Doctor

Aug 28, 2003
    Mmmmm. My Yamaha's are funk beasts. They can rip it up big time (too bad I can't do it that well).
  19. bino

bino Supporting Member

Jun 27, 2002
    Orange County
    First buy some killer rhythm. And I'm not just talking about keeping time. It's cheap but tought to find.
  20. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    When my strings don't completely die after only a few days (got a bad set, methinks :mad: ), my MIM Fender precision rocks on funk.