Funk Bass?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Staindfan10, Jul 13, 2001.

1. Staindfan10

Jan 20, 2001
    i kinda wanna play some funk and i was wondering what songs i should listen to and what are some cool basslines? thanx
  2. average white band and bill dickens
  3. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Kinda wanna??? You GOTTA WANNA feeeel it, breathe it, sopp it up with a biscuit...

James Brown
    Parliament, Ohio Players, Commodores, Kool and the Gang, Rufus, Brothers Johnson, Sly and the Family Stone, Earth Wind and Fire...

Some tunes you may know: Jungle Boogie, Brick House, Stomp, One Nation Under a Groove, Fire.

Go out and get a compilation CD like Pure Funk. Usually you will have a few of these tunes and others.

4. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Gap Band, Cameo, Lakeside, Graham Central Station, early Prince stuff (up to & incl Sign O' the Times), Prince & New Power Generation, The Time, Rick James, Chic, Isley Brothers.

Some Tunes: Fantastic Voyage (Lakeside), Get It Up (The Time) Get Up Early In The Morning (Gap), Super Freak (Rick James), Fight The Power (Isley Bros), Le Freak and Get Off (Chic), The Jam and My Radio Sure Feels Good To Me (Graham Central Station

That oughtta be enough to keep you busy for a l'il while.

5. If you really want to get to the source of the matter listen to James Brown. After a week or two of nothing but James Brown, and I mean nothing, refer to the suggestions above.
  6. JAGUAR!!!

now that´s FUNK!!!

you can listen to samples of each song on their cd´s on

check it out! (and I mean everybody!)
  7. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    the chili peppers are to funk as pot is to hardcore drugs...

that would make rhcp "the gateway band." blood sugar sex magik is their best, and possibly funkiest. for more ol' school flava rhcp, check "freaky styley." fs was produced by george clinton, so you gotta know it's funky with a capital f.

all of the previous suggestions are excellent.
  8. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2001
    Giving all props to Bootsy, I refernced the Godfather first with that intent in mind. However, there's a thing I read where George Clinton sends it back even Cab Callaway of all people. I'll have to look it up.
  9. Lord Bishop

Lord Bishop Guest

Jul 16, 2001
    Brooklyn N.Y.
    George Clinton's Count Funkula, album: A Fifth Of Funk and all of Bootsy's Work
  10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If you go to the "Recordings" forum, there is a thread called something like "Help Frizzle get Funky" where "The Frizzle Fry" asked the same question and there is a huge number of recommendations!
  11. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    primus has some funky stuff... sorry im not naming the bands from the 70's the other posters took care of that already.