Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

FUNK BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by My_man_Freddy, Sep 9, 2001.

1. I'm relatively new to the bass buying thing and was wondering what is the best bass to buy for a player who is mainly a funk player???????:confused: :D

Cheers

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Which bass is best for rock music? Which bass is best for pop music? Which is the best bass overall?

Questions like these are impossible to answer, but a good Jazz bass will do for a lot of musical styles, including funk.

3. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I agree with Oysterman, and would support his Jazz Bass recommendation. Listen to Marcus Miller for some nice funky bass playing on his Fender Jazz. Some people say that MusicMan Stingrays are good for funk - also, the graphite neck on a Flea Modulus is supposed to be good for funk. Juan Nelson who is extra funky uses MTDs. In the end, it's what you are comfortable with.

4. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Yeah the MM stingrays are excellent funk basses so are the flea basses or a jazz bass

5. for slappin'...you can't beat a stingray IMO, if thats your bag than Id go with that bass. Also, the fender marcus miller jazz bas is as funky as the black man who played it. good stuff there...

6. by the way..if you do get the stingray, id get the one with the rosewood fretboard. the maples are nice, but way way too bright for my taste at least.

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

For slap funk, almost any bass except for a p bass or a semi hollow will work.

For fingerstyle funk, p bass is the king, but most any other bass will work for that as well.

8. Dude.... there are lots of 'em... play as many different models/brands and you can make the decision.