Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk Brothers Best of Released in US!

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassbrad, Feb 3, 2004.

1. :hyper: The Best of the FUNK BROTHERS was relaesed today, 12 funky instrumentals almost all released for the 1st time and it's only $9.99. Since seeing "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" I've been scouring for Funk Brothers instrumentals and this brings the count up to 17 for sure & maybe 19. Getting the others meant buying some compilations and the soundtrack.
    The Soundtrack has 3; 'Bernadette', 'You Keep Me Hangin' On' & 'The Flick'. "Cellar Full of Motown" had 'He Was Really Saying Something' & 'Tell Me It's Just a Rumor, Baby' plus 'Riding High On Love' by Jr Walker & The All Stars and 37 other Motown 'previously unissued' recordings. I found 'Scorpio' (Dennis Coffey & The Detroit Guitar Band) on a compilation called "Instrumentals From Back In The Day' with 12 other instrumentals including 'Cleo's Back' by Jr Walker & The All Stars. I'm also counting the rhythm and strings mix of "What's Going On" from the Deluxe version of "What's Going On" because it is so different from the one on the Bset of and features James Jamerson in the mix.
    Sorry to run on but I am excited!

2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Awesome, just got my copy from iTunes, good stuff!

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

That's the easy one...I'm on the hunt for "Taurus", their follow-up to "Scorpio".

4. Please drop me a line if you find it.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999

...I'm not that lucky. ;)

Actually, www.dustygroove.com often stocks USED LPs of Dennis Coffey. I was considering picking up 1971's Evolution(the original LP with "Scorpio"...I have seen USED copies go from $20 to now $35-$40 at that site).
    I know as soon as I spring for a USED LP, the damn thing will be issued as a $8.99 cd!
    ;)

6. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Jim, you have PM. :D

7. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  8. berklee46

berklee46 Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2000
    MA
    I just picked up the "Best of The Funk Brothers" and I've got to say that I'm pretty disappointed.
    Maybe I was expecting too much, but I had hoped it was mostly going to be a collection of the band's backing tracks with no vocals. I just love hearing the core band and really hearing each guy's part. "What's Goin' On" is the original instrumental track, but most of the others are the original tracks with Earl Van Dyke playing keyboards over them. It just doesn't work for me. Maybe it's the sound of the keys, or how prominent they are in the mix, but it just sounds like a bad karaoke recording.

Maybe after a few more listens I'll appreciate it more, but for now, I'll stick with the original songs with the vocals and/or the SITSOM CD.