Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Funk Brothers - Reach Out, I'll Be There (Standing in the Shadows..)

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by XavierG, Mar 20, 2005.

1. Everytime I listen to the bass line on this tune, my hair stands on end.

That's all.

2. matrok

matrok

Jan 10, 2005
    Ferndale, Michigan
    I got halfway through the DVD last night. First time I've seen it (I know, I know shame on me). Blown away. If I can get half that much funk I'll be a happy man.

3. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I never get tired of watching that DVD. I think anybody who's serious about bass guitar should see it at least once. The historical content alone is great and the tunes are all happening.

4. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

I drive by that little house about once a year. What amazes me most is at the end of the movie all of the song titles go across the screen.

Some of these big agencies and conglomorates with all their connections, technologies and money can't even come close to what came out of that little house.

5. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I saw the Funk Brothers in Detroit last fall with Bob Babbit, Man it's amazing, NOTHING EVER CAN MAKE PEOPLE DANCE THE WAY THAT STUFF DOES, I saw old people, young people, bikers,punkers, tech heads and all of them had one thing in common, the "hips was swayin". That music has more FUNK in it's pinky then this new throbbin manufactured techno #%*$ could ever dream of. GREAT MOVIE TOO!!

6. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree. Everybody likes/loves Motown. Still relevant today.

A lot of the stuff that's passed off as R&B today doesn't have 'heart'...I can't imagine people/fans still listening to it 20, 30, 40 years from now.
    Just one man's opinion.

7. Tnavis

Tnavis

Feb 25, 2003
    Minneapolis, MN
    Any time I feel like I can groove, I flip open the "Standing in the Shadows of Motown" book and attempt to play through "For Once In My Life".

Than I go and practice.

8. elros

elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Norway
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Me too.